The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help! Clutch broke!

NickDromez

Ok, so 485 has had a working clutch since the day i bought her. it worked fine last saturday, i didnt drive it all on sunday and now today on monday the clutch goes straight to the floor with hardly any effort. it does not come back up unless i pull it back up. i looked under the hood to see if there was an easy fix and the little cylinder next to the brake master cylinder is empty. i know i need to put fluid in there but i want to know if that is the only problem. so does anyone know where to start? also is there a special procedure for filling it up?

dmj

If there is no fluid you have a leak. put some fluid in have a friend depress the clutch pedal and look for a leak. Could be one of 4 things .A leaking clutch master. rusted out clutch hard line.busted clutch line hose or a leaky clutch slave cylinder. I would recommend replacing all of the above except the hard line if any of the other components are leaking.Don't forget to bleed the system.

Last edited:

NickDromez

can i get all that stuff at like kragen or sumtin? i might try big o since i work there and i could possibly get a discount. also how easy is it to replace all that?

steve

Clutch slave was easy, I can't comment on the rest because I never did them.

dmj

I like to go oem when it comes to these parts except for the clutch hose .I used a stainless braided line. JNZ or Extreme psi are good for these parts.If going with a stock clutch I see no harm with aftermarket parts like Big O's,Napa's, Advance etc. Almost forgot, you will need a 10mm flare nut wrench for replacing the clutch hose, removing the hard lines from both the master and slave cylinders.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

im running an Autozone Master and Slave cylinder with no problems, the only one that has em in stock is the one in Oakland off fruitvale, its the Hub for the area.
-Shane

NickDromez

i just ordered a new slave cylinder from a local mechanic and i will install it later when he gets the part

steve

Did you put fluid in and check for leaks? It would be a shame to change the slave, then fill it up and see its leaking from the line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Brunoboy

He told me its wet under the dash, the mc boot is leaking...

NickDromez

hey all so i replaced the master cylinder for the clutch and bled the system and the car worked fine for a couple of days but i go to start it this morning and again, the clutch pedal falls straight to the floor. anyone know why it could be doing this still?

jepherz

Staff member
Yeah, there's a leak somewhere. You'll have to inspect more closely. It probably just worked for a few days cause you topped the new master cylinder off.

NickDromez

yea just noticed fluid all over my driveway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif this car just keeps getting problem after problem.

steve

First you said you ordered a new slave cylinder, but then you said you installed a new master cylinder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

mr.mitsu

Everyone is telling you to check for a leak. So check for a leak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Don't expect to be spoon fed.

Take the advice, add some intuition and if all else fails then you can post.

You shouldn't wait for people online to diagnose your car if you're not going to put any effort!

*end rant*

NickDromez

ok, there was some confusion on what i was calling the parts. that was my fault. i was calling the MC the SC.

anyways, i checked for a leak (wasnt gonna check when i posted cuz it was 6am my time and its freezing) and now the slave cylinder sprung a leak. my bad on any confusion, and if i learned something today it would be that if your gonna replace something you may as well replace the pair.

dmj

Please replace the clutch line hose also,at over 100k I bet it has internal cracks.

I like to replace the master and slave cyl at the same time. In my experience it seems that when one dies, the other isn't far behind. +1 on the new line... SS would be good.

Brunoboy

I changed both slave master and ss line

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned