The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dynoed my car today

So after all these years I finally strapped my car down on the Dyno & went for it. I ordered a new chip from Keydiver for E85. E85 is finally becoming more available down here now. The Dyno is a Dyno Jet 2WD Dyno, so a welded viscous was installed & the driveshaft disconnected.

Goal was 400 @ the wheels. The turbo can make ~550 but my goal was way less than that. I finally turned up the boost from the sissy 10psi I've been running for 2 years now to 20psi. I also installed a pair of hood vents. I should have kept one of those jdm vented hoods I sold over the years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Mod list:
Completely stock jdm long block ~80k miles on it
Stock intake manifold
SAFC
Evo 8 MAS
DSMCHIPS.com stage 3 chipped for E85 with more aggressive timing **What a difference**
E85
25g turbo T3 flange with a huge back housing. It's been so long I forgot. Old school turbo but rock solid.
880cc Injectors which we switch out for 1000cc
Walbro 255 pump intank
Upgraded -6AN fuel line from the filter to the rail & then to the return line
ETS fmic with custom piping 2.5" in & 3" out
Oooold school HKS ssq bov works great
40mm Wastegate
Tubilar Exhasut Manifold
3" Exhaust
ACT 2600 w/sprung street disc
Civic Radiator
20psi

Final #s 361hp & 308tq @ 20psi. We got as high as 371 hp @ 22psi but was running out of injectors in the higher RPM's so we turned the boost back down. It obviously has more in it as the turbo isn't anywhere near maxed out. Just need bigger injectors. I think I'm going to switch back to 93 octane as I could have made 400 with more boost & still have room for more fuel. This is my daily driver & over the last week since switching to E85, I've filled up 3 times compared to 2 times on 93 octane. I don't think it's worth it unless you're shooting for more than 450 whp.

Youtube Video .....noting special
The camera freaked out & shut down prematurely

Last edited by a moderator:

2of9

very nice numbers. especially for it not being cammed. very nice numbers!, I am also trying to achieve my 300+ awhp goal.

381gvr4

Very cool GW! Vids were ahhh.... horrible, lol! Does this mean you're gonna keep it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

25g is working great. Because of the back housing, it spools a little late. I really want the car to be @ 400 whp. That's been my goal since the day I bought it. So I'm going to either install bigger injectors or switch back to 93 octane. At this point switching back to 93 octane is cheaper but that means I'm going to have to retune. We already know how many years it took me to tune it so getting it back on the dyno might not happen any time soon lol.

As long as a buyer shows up with the money, it's gone. I'm going to the track today. I don't expect to run 11's but should be in the mid to high 12's. This is a full weight car. I forgot to install the clutch wire so I don't think I'll be able to launch properly.

marvinmadman

You should be able to get LOW 12s on that much power even without some kind of launch control. Good luck and report back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4orced4door

Nice results Garfield. E85 still hard to come by up this way, I think the nearest pump is almost an hour away down towards Orlando. Might as well tune it for 93, will probably make it more appealing to FL buyers. More power and no fuel availability problems.

broxma

Yeah but the Sunoco on 40 in Ocala pumps 110 unlead straight from the pump, at like 12.00 a gallon. I believe every service plaza on the FL turnpike has E-85.

Nice numbers GW. Now that I am resigned to rebuild my block I am going to switch to E-85 at 9.5-1. I've always correlated E-85 with a high compression build.

/brox

I found out today that I'm a terrible..........make that horrible driver. The best I could do was a 14.54. 60's were in the mid to high two's, launches were horrible, a couple times the clutch/transmission locked me out of 3rd & once out of 2nd. I had 3/4 tank of fuel, the track was hooking good & the weather was perfect. I'll try to get the videos up tomorrow but I'm not excited about postig them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif. As a matter of fact, I'm disappointed in myself.

turbowop

Dang dude. And I thought I was a bad driver at the track. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

What kind of traps were you seeing?

lol
Here's a picture going up against a GTS Corolla with a built 4g63. This car made ~550 on our Dyno last Thursday. Needless to say I got served /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

turbowop

Quoting Garfield Wright:
I think I broke 100 mph once /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Even with crappy E.T.'s, with the power your car is putting down you should be trapping higher than that. Something was up with your tune if your MPH was that low. IMO

KiNgMaRtY

Nice dyno numbers. First time at the track usually isn't the best. As long as you were under the stock rated numbers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

thecman02

Yeah if it makes you feel any better I had a hell of a time getting traction too. I was trapping 117-119 with hurrendous 2.5+ 60' and barely got into 12's. Then I had a mediocre launch of 1.9 and a coupler decided to blow off preventing me from running atleast a low 12 if not high 11.

Lonewolf64

Quoting Garfield Wright:
I found out today that I'm a terrible..........make that horrible driver. The best I could do was a 14.54. 60's were in the mid to high two's, launches were horrible, a couple times the clutch/transmission locked me out of 3rd & once out of 2nd. I had 3/4 tank of fuel, the track was hooking good & the weather was perfect. I'll try to get the videos up tomorrow but I'm not excited about postig them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif. As a matter of fact, I'm disappointed in myself.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Those are the kind of times I ran on a stock car with a boost controller @ 15psi. On a serious note, drag racing is not as simple as you'd think, especially when you are rowing the gears. If you give yourself a little bit more practice, you'll do fine. With a larger turbo you might have a bigger issue bogging than a typical 16g setup, so you'll definitely want to studderbox launch (if you have this), preloading the driveline with the ebrake. Don't dump the clutch but rather let it out at a gradual pace. I find that I'm pretty much done with 1st gear by the time the clutch is all the way out. Are you using NLTS? It will definitely help your 1/4 mile times, especially if you aren't the fastest at shifting.

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting Garfield Wright:
I think I broke 100 mph once /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Even with crappy E.T.'s, with the power your car is putting down you should be trapping higher than that. Something was up with your tune if your MPH was that low. IMO

I agree, I fail at driving and even with crappy 2.4 60's (FWD Laser)I was trapping 107mph , and back then I was only putting down 268FWHP.

But I agree, first time out is always tough. It is not as easy as it can look some times.

Better luck next time out, and nice numbers.
I am hoping for 400+ WHP on the HTA68 on E85 when its ready to hit the streets!

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts