The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine cuts out after warm up

I have just had an engine replacement because the original engine began knocking due to a split in a hose giving too much boost. Had replaced cracked turbo because exhaust was smoking but now the engine keeps cutting out after a good warm up. Drive a few kilometers and then cuts out. Drives fine when its cold but cuts out when car is properly warmed up. You can then start it back up again once or twice but it will then cut out very shortly,then not start up until the temp has cooled right down. I have had a diagnostics check done however nothing abnormal with core temp or sensors. I have been told it may be the stepper motor but have checked it and looks fine. Then i was told it could be the coil packs but haven't checked these yet. I have already spent over $4000 to get it back on the road including a new clutch.

I have had this car off the road for over a year now and want it going again. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Jesh

when you say "cuts out" do you mean the engine dies?

yes, engine just turns off when car has had a good warm up. you can then start it back up a couple of times running for only a few seconds each time, then engine wont turn over until car has cooled right down.

Jesh

I had a very similar problem with my car a while back, as it turns out the ecu was the cause. If you have a spare ecu it would be easy to try it and see. Thats just my best guess offhand. And if you don't have a spare ecu some members have been generous enough to lend them out from time to time.

I am having the same problem right now with mine. My ecu is fine. Might be the mas.

I dont think so as i have a diagnostics check done and everything seems fine.

cheekychimp

Mass Air Flow Sensor. Usually attached right onto the back of your air filter so that air runs through it into the turbo. It measures the amount of air passing into your engine and sends the values to the ECU to calculate the correct amount of fuel to inject for the stock air fuel ratio. I think the suggestion is that after warming up, a faulty MAS might be sending incorrect values to the ECU resulting in it failing to inject the correct amount of fuel causing it to die or flood.

Worth looking at I guess.

I also understand that you have done a diagnostics check, but unless you are throwing a fault code and getting a CEL or other warning light that you haven't mentioned, I'd say it is fair to assume that you have a problem that the ECU or diagnostics computer hasn't picked up on. These cars are notorious for acting completely erratically if the ECU capacitors leak and damage any of the traces inside. It is WELL WORTH checking out. If anything, if the ECU isn't damaged when you check, consider replacing the capacitors NOW. In view of the money you have already spent it is very cheap insurance against future issues and a 20 year old ECU with original capacitors is a time bomb waiting to explode.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts