The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing ground connector on a GVR4?

biglady112

I have looked a few times, but there is nothing really standing out to me. I did find one open connector behind the intake that is a one pin wire. But I am not sure if this is what I am looking for. I am going to be firing this galant up in the next few days and I need to set the base timing. I could just ground the pin with a paper clip or something at PIN 12 at the ecu, but I am always willing to learn. Can someone help me locate this thing?

That is the main reason for the whole rebuild. Someone had the CAS pretty much fully advanced and with so much timing in the motor it broke three pistons. But suprisingly it still ran.

SouthCaliVR4

By the master cyl are two conectors, one is your basic rectangle one plug conector & comes from the fact open, that is the fuel pump test lead. the other is an oval kinda shape & looks like a two pin plug but has only one wire in it, came from the fact with a dust plug (but may be missing now) ground that one to set base timing & idle.

mr.mitsu

My connector broke off. Took me forever to find it.

Search, there's pics on here somewhere

TMG

Search +timing +connector +pic in the How to section.

Whoodoo

62's PO was a bit clever and put a ground wire in that vicinity for setting base timing and idle.

This is what that area looks like as of 5 minutes ago.

The plug you are looking for is hiding behind the small reservoir in the above picture at the very bottom. Im holding it here.

Now, take off the dust cover and hook it up to that handy dandy ground zip tied close by.

Last edited:

biglady112

Thanks everyone. Other than the Vfaq, because I assumed the galant would not be in there, I searched for almost an hour. I am likely retarded and that is why I could not find it. But I am on it now. All I could find looking a few times was the fuel pump single wire plug.

Thanks guys.

4Grim

Can I get confirmation that the wire going to the Timing ground plug is Yellow with the red stripe? Mine is missing all together and need to set timing and set idle. Thanks in advance!

MellowVR4

I believe it is yellow with red stripe, I can go look at mine real Quick tho.

MellowVR4

just went to go look and yes it is the yellow with red stripe!

4Grim

Thanks a bunch MellowVR4. I have a loose wire in that general area thats Yellow w/ red stripe but want to make sure thats the wire that the plug on before I do anything.

MellowVR4

Not a problem.

G

Staff member
I wonder if that dust cap is still available from mits.

bradrs

It would be interesting if it is available, but I highly doubt it. If someone had the part number for it though, it'd be neat to check out.

FWIW, the dust cover is a NMWP series connector, 2 pin black, with 2 cavity plugs. You can get them here:

click

Just make sure when you order it, you say it is for a block off, so you need hole plugs.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts