The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone got the EVO III Gear ratios

cheekychimp

The 5th gear is supposed to be 10% taller but what does that equate to compared to the stock 0.666?

And what are the secondary/transfer/final/rear end ratios?

I know that not all gear components are compatible or interchangeable but I'm looking at options to the RS Ratios and I'm missing half the information to work stuff out.

fuel

The 5th gear in my VR-4 is 0.617 but the final drive ratio is the same as the Lancer Evo1-3 which is 3.909. At 100km/h on the odometer I am doing bang on 3000rpm, which as I understand is very close to the 0.666 5th with the 3.545 diff ratios.

curtis

Paul while your gear searching find something out if it exists. I have an oddball rear diff here that me and Vinny pulled the lsd out of but I kept the ring and pinion. Its a 3.307 which is numerically higher for lower rpms going down the interstate and I think would be better for drag race fun with higher HP motors. Its out of a automatic 1G but don't know if the front ring and pinion ever came in anything with that ratio.

cheekychimp

Quoting fuel:
The 5th gear in my VR-4 is 0.617 but the final drive ratio is the same as the Lancer Evo1-3 which is 3.909. At 100km/h on the odometer I am doing bang on 3000rpm, which as I understand is very close to the 0.666 5th with the 3.545 diff ratios.

That I take it that is an RS (Evolution) Box then since all the ratios and speeds in a given gear at a given rpm match up. The only thing I am having trouble with is terminology. The excel table I have gives the final drive ratio simply as a primary x secondary (this is probably what we call the total final drive ratio). I presume you are referring to the final rear end (diff) ratio? That is listed as 3.908 for the RS (Evolution) which matches.

Dan D, thanks! I did actually already look at Jack's site, but it only gives ratios for 1st through 4th.

I've done some research and it looks as if the EVO III gears are pretty much identical to the RS gears with the exception of first and second. First is right about half way between the stock VR4 first and the RS first whilst second matches the stock VR4 second.

I found this reference on the web from NZ which is simply awesome Gear Ratio Comparisons If you don't want to wade all through that, THE FOLLOWING is very pertinent: -

Quote:

EVO I-III gearbox ratios etc:

1st & 5th use the same single piece syncros
2nd gear uses the same double (3 piece) syncro
3rd & 4th on Evo 1 box use single syncros. (same P/N as 5th gear syncro)
3rd & 4th on Evo 2/3 box use double syncros & these will NOT fit a vr4, GSR, or Evo 1 gearbox without machine work to the gears.

Evo 1 has taller 1st & 2nd gear resulting in closer ratio gears especially 2nd-3rd gap
Evo 2/3 however have double syncros & a stronger hub on 3rd & 4th gear

Evo 3 box has exact same gear ratios & syncros as Evo 2 but with a slightly taller final drive & different transfer ratio which requires the Evo 3 transfer case to correct it for 3.909. EVO3 = 63 teeth crownwheel and 15 tooth output pinion, mated to a 1.074 transfer case which corrects the rear diff ratio to 3.909.

EVO 2/3 boxes are same internally. The only difference is EVO2 uses same front diff ratio as EVO1 being 64 tooth crownwheel with 15 tooth output pinion (4.264) for use with 1.090 transfer case ratio = 3.909 rear diff ratio.

A smaller number for gear ratio, (Like Evo 1 1st & 2nd) means they are taller: Less torque at the wheels but more speed for a given rpm.

A larger number (Evo final drive) means it is shorter: More torque to the wheels but less speed for a given rpm.

Power at the wheels does not change significantly with different gear ratios

So it looks like the Evolution GVR4 shares it's secondary with the EVO 1 and 2. Infact I would say the Evolution GVR4 gearbox is EXACTLY the same as was used in the EVO 1. The EVO III gears are still pretty close to the Evolution GVR4 gears other than 1st and 2nd, but an EVO III crown wheel and pinion would require a different transfer case ratio to match the rear diff ratio of 3.909 or things could get messy back there.

So can I match EVO III gears with an EVO 1 or 2 crown wheel and pinion?

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Quoting curtis:
Paul while your gear searching find something out if it exists. I have an oddball rear diff here that me and Vinny pulled the lsd out of but I kept the ring and pinion. Its a 3.307 which is numerically higher for lower rpms going down the interstate and I think would be better for drag race fun with higher HP motors. Its out of a automatic 1G but don't know if the front ring and pinion ever came in anything with that ratio.

Evolution Models Info (save link as .pdf file)

EVO VIII and EVO X apparently have the 43/13 3.307 rear diff ratio

Last edited:

H05TYL

Almost all of the above is correct, but change the references to "vr4 RS" to "vr4 Evolution" because pre-facelift vr4 RS's had the same 3.545 ratio boxes as other vr4's.

RedTwo

Auto AWD Galants (MX-4?) and GTOs run 3.307 too - I did have the 3.307 rear gears from from an MX-4 around here somewhere but I think they migrated to the scrap pile.
From memory evos 4 to 6.5 have the option of the 3.307 or a 3.xxx gear/diff/final drive ratio. There's a UK transmission company who has a fantastic pdf listing all the gearbox/diff ratios, gearbox codes, option codes and describes what they can make for you. I would be pretty confident it's found in the same place as the 'Evo Buyers Guide'

cheekychimp

Quoting H05TYL:
Almost all of the above is correct, but change the references to "vr4 RS" to "vr4 Evolution" because pre-facelift vr4 RS's had the same 3.545 ratio boxes as other vr4's.

Done. You guys get tetchy about this RS/Evolution thing don't you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So come on, you guys over there know a thing or two about these gears. Are EVO 1 & 2 gearsets any weaker than the EVO III ones? I am thinking that a full EVO III gear set 1st through 5th, double synchros, mated with an EVO 1 or 2 (secondary) front crown wheel and pinion would allow me to retain the 3.909 rear diff ratio and use the far more readily available DSM transfer cases.

2nd gear would be slightly shorter but that might actually be better. It seems a far better transmission for use here in Hong Kong with the 2.0 litre block (I went taller with the 2.3 stroker) What's more, it still offers a theoretical 295 km/h top speed and a highway cruise of 100 km/h at 3000 rpm. Pretty much ideal.

fuel

it's because you're describing two different cars when you say 'RS'... a pre-facelift RS shares not alot with the facelift RS which are Evolution spec. I can see one of you guys getting disappointed when you order something from Japan which is from an 'RS' only to find it's no different than your regular VR-4 part, as it came from a pre-facelift RS.

fuel

also, Evo4+ final drive ratio is 3.312, which is so close to 3.307 anyhow the 0.1% difference is less than tyre wear.

H05TYL

Quoting fuel:
it's because you're describing two different cars when you say 'RS'... a pre-facelift RS shares not alot with the facelift RS which are Evolution spec. I can see one of you guys getting disappointed when you order something from Japan which is from an 'RS' only to find it's no different than your regular VR-4 part, as it came from a pre-facelift RS.

2nd facelift RS's are the same as Evolution, the middle ones still have 14b, 3 bolt, etc though according to the brochure they were available with either 3.545 or 3.909 ratio's.

curtis

Now you guys have me thinking as hard as Paul. A evo III set up but with a 3.307 would be bad ass. My buddy has a few broken evo gear boxes at his shop I think so I'll have to go look but they may turn backwards and The shaft diameter on the main shaft may be different as well. Scratch head.

Main reason I want this is rpm on the highway, the benefits of a close ratio box and the 1100 ft mark on the 1/4 mile. Chris Beren's Evo has the same problem of tire height and the need to go to 5th in the 1/4 mile because of RPM. I'm sure mine and others around here has or will have the same problem. My Mustang had that problem and if I held 4th would just make noise and kill 1/2 second on the et and going to 5th fell on its face at 1000 ft with a 4.10 gear and a tremec. A 28 inch tall tire would have put me at 6800 in 4th but the 26 street tires didn't.

I've watched for a junk 1G auto awd box to tear apart but haven't found one yet., Who knows its a world of interchangeable parts and may work. Hell a Hyundai stick shift might have the correct count. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

RedTwo

I'm still not sure what you're after - short? Drag? Top speed? City ratios? Something crazy?

There is/was a 3.752:1 ratio gearbox on 4D65 and 4G56 C64A's, which must be diesel Lancers?

www.coordsport.com is the place I'm thinking of.
According to their .pdf the 5 & 6 have 3.307 rear (43/13) but a choice of 4.529 (77/17) or 4.875 (78/16) in the front.
Interesting that the JDM Evo 7 GSR 1st gear (2.928 41/14) is not homologated!?

misterfixit

Have to be careful Evo iv up switched the orientation of the engine to remove the need for the countershaft in the galant boxes.

Rich

misterfixit

Not sure if this has been posted before, so I hope all is readable. I have the rest of these if required. (sould be readable), I don't have them any higher res.
Evo 1:

img.php

Evo 2:

Evo 3:

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned