The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

This dont look right to me....

MellowVR4

Ok, im still trying to diagnose this noise im hearing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. Now is it just me or do these pics of my driveshaft look a little out of wack and possibly cause my car to make weird noises/vibrations when im decelerating in gear. Now what your looking at is the front yoke going into the transfercase and some view looking to the rear from the front, to me looks like its at a crazy angle. i went to one of my fellow dsm friends house and took a look at his driveshaft and his doesnt look like mine, his looks alot straighter then mine. Their kind of hard to see but ill try to get more pics if u guys cant see what im talking about. Please let me know this noise is bothering me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Whoodoo

This has been covered pretty thoroughly. I think one solution to the driveline decel noise is to check relative driveshaft angle. Get an angle finder and try to get the different sections of the driveshaft to be as close to the same angle as possible by putting stainless washers under the carrier bearing bolts.

The reason why this happens is because a universal joint creates dissimilar angular velocities between the slave and drive shafts when an angle exists between them.

Searching '+decel +noise +solution' yields the thread I was referring to.

MellowVR4

i know i can find the angles with a angle finder but i replaced the driveshaft support mounting metal bushings that tunersnation sells, so theoredacly all the angles should be right, and they do. But not the front section of the driveshaft that looks more off then the rest of the driveshaft. Which makes me belive thats were my noise is coming from, but the question is why is it like that, whats causing it to be off at a angle like that. is it the way my engine and trans are mounted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

Quoting bmod530:
Maybe your front and/or rear roll engine mounts are shot?

+1

SouthCaliVR4

You look to have a combo issue, sagged out motor mounts & wasted carrier brg mounts.

try this, with the hood up give it a little load in forward & watch the engine movement, again in reverse. while with stocker mounts you should see a little movement I guessing your going to see a lot, like a couple inches. I.e. motor mount time.

as for the drive shaft you can center up the brgs & inject a little 3m window weld into the mount to take up some slack, if that helps then start budgeting for having your driveline done. the fact joints are non-serviceable. so, source a driveline shop to replace the u-joints & install new carrier brgs. You can source the brgs to save a few bucks but it's probably best to let then source the joints. Make sure they also balance the assembly.

MellowVR4

Quoting bmod530:

i replaced all motor mounts besides the one in the rear of the engine with polyurethane mounts. Now when i did that, the poly mount mounting holes were not offset like a normal oem mount would be. so i modified the passanger and front motor mount brackets so the bolt can go threw the motor mount. idk if i mesured wrong and thats causing my driveshaft to look like that or make the noises. not sure but i was thinking about that, but it was making those noises before i did them, but its still in the back of my mine.

MellowVR4

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
Guess we all hit this post at the same time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

replaced all driveshaft support mounts and mounting holes bushings already.

MellowVR4

if you guys notice in the pic that the driveshaft looks like its not all the way in the transfercase. beacause of the angle

SouthCaliVR4

ok, but it really does appear from the pics that you motor angle is off. you may have duplicated the same bad angle when you did the mounts.

bmod530

If you doubt your own work, that is the first place to check. Not hatin, just sayin...

MellowVR4

i mean if it was my mistake on how i did the motor mounts im gonna try to correct it, and hopefully that fixes the problem

curtis

Quoting MellowVR4:
Quoting bmod530:

i replaced all motor mounts besides the one in the rear of the engine with polyurethane mounts. Now when i did that, the poly mount mounting holes were not offset like a normal oem mount would be. so i modified the passanger and front motor mount brackets so the bolt can go threw the motor mount. idk if i mesured wrong and thats causing my driveshaft to look like that or make the noises. not sure but i was thinking about that, but it was making those noises before i did them, but its still in the back of my mine.

What do you mean modified.I you just drilled the holes bigger now you have slop in the system. Remember if you open up the hole even a 1/16 of an inch at 2ft away 1/16 is probably 3 degrees. 2ft being the centerline distance from the front mount to the rear of the transfer case. Also the factory mounts being offset means worn out from years of having 500+ lbs and a few G's of force being applied constantly. I think from the factory there a little sagged but no where what a worn mount is.

Gizmovr4

That picture looks familiar. When I bought 431 the transfer case to driveshaft looked just like that. Turns out that someone who owned the car before I got a hold of it had replaced the motor with a 1g and didn’t realize that the front mount bracket for the VR4 is different. I would check the front motor mount bracket I think it should have a 244 stamped on it for a Vr4 if memory serves me right… 1g front mounts are different and will give you the result your looking at…this is the bracket that is bolted to the block and attaches to the motor mount that goes to the radiator support (the one below the turbo)

Last edited:

misterfixit

+1 ^^^^

belize1334

Quoting MellowVR4:
Quoting bmod530:

Now when i did that, the poly mount mounting holes were not offset like a normal oem mount would be. so i modified the passanger and front motor mount brackets so the bolt can go threw the motor mount.

This is probably your problem. The reason the OEM bushings are offset is that they're expected to sag under the weight of the engine. The poly bushings are more rigid and don't sag so they aren't offset. By modifying the mounting brackets you made your motor sit fun which is why the t-case is too low and why the prop-shaft is having to droop down and intersect it at an angle.

TurboTrader

Did you say you are running the stock rear mount (probably shot), and not the Prothane?

I had the exact problem, I replaced my two sides and front mount with Prothanes, and the driveshaft sat at that angle. It vibrated very badly upon accel. as well. Turns out it was the rear stock mount causing all the problems.

To test the theory I put a block underneath the jack right under the long mount on the rear of the engine block, got it to right center in the mount, and sure enough the propeller shaft was at a perfect angle. Replaced the mount, and the vibration went away completely.

MellowVR4

the rear mount right, yea i gotta get to work on this asap. ivr been really lazy lately and i miss my beast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

beefajita

Mine does the same thing. Noise under decel, specific RPMs and load.

Try making your car make the noise while deceling uphill, I bet it goes away.

I actually drive around it when in crowed areas because it is embarrassing to have something soo fast and yet so crappy.

Shep told me it was cause the clutch I have in there is not balanced with engine driveline ect.
but then again, I was asking him to diagnose it over the phone.

It did it with the stock driveshaft (like yours) and it does it with my lightened aluminum driveshaft too.
I had the aluminum one shortened a little this actually helped a little, it made the noise not as awful.

I have tried different rear subframes because it may be the bushings, geometry,etc.
Still made the noise.

Now I have polyurethane mounts on every thing front and back(including the big rear subframe ones that no one can find)
Still makes the noise.

My only hope is sooner or later,(probably later 'cause this one is holdin') I will destroy my clutch only to purchase a "balanced" one
So that I may have a fair and balanced drivetrain, enabling me to engine brake to my hearts desire.
One can dream can't he?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts