The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

need clarification on alarm disable. pic inside

Scott Y

I've been looking at the pics in the Alarm Disable How-To, and I can't make sense of it. It looks like the wiring harness is routed differently on the example car than on mine.
Basically, the only yellow w/blue stripe wire I can find is connected to the module above the cruise control unit. This sounds right according to the how-to, but the harness sourcing the wire isn't down low like it shows in the pics. I've taken a pic of what mine looks like. I've removed the connector for the cruise unit, and taken the 10mm nut off the bottom of the fusebox bracket to allow more finger room.
Have I got the right wire?

---having trouble uploading pic, will try again shortly---

496of2000

click
alarm disable link
There is a thread about this with detailed pictures. It's the yellow wire with light blue stripe with silver bands. You have to cut alot of the factory black tape out to see or find the wire, it's a PITA to do.

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

that pic may look like the harness is down low but trust me I was on my head taking that. it is above the cruise cont box & you do have to open the fact harness & fiddle through the wires to pull out the correct one.

Scott Y

Yup, the alarm how-to is the one with the pics that i was referencing.
I can't seem to upload any pics, I've tried different pics and browsers but I'm getting no love.
The wire I had circled in my pic is a yellow/blue wire that is visible going into the connector on the electrical unit that sits above the silver cruise control module. I'll try the pic upload again tomorrow.

SouthCaliVR4

that is the one, only one black box above the cc unit, only one yellow blue wire in the bundle leading to it. don't need to see the pic.

Scott Y

No pic upload lovin.
I get a waiting for GVR4.org message, then it says it's done. I've tried several times, with several browsers, with several pics.

Pushinink

sorry to revive such an old thread, but I figured it would be better than starting a new one. I do have a few questions as well as some info hopefully others could use in the future. First off, I would like to know where the 'brain' of the oem alarm is located? so I can un plug it and perm. disable it. On my 91 vr4 it is not above the interior fuse block as it was for others nor did I have a yellow/blue wire to cut to disarm. I have had alarm and door lock issues on this car since day 1. My solution was to get aftermarket real alarm with door actuators (all of which are already installed and working great) Now the problem is when I lock my doors it arms the factory alarm. I thought about unplugging the oem door lock motors and keyswitchs in the doors but if for some reason it arms the oem alarm I wouldnt have a way to disarm it with switches unplugged.
Now, the 2 boxes I have above the fuse box, 1 of them says omron and has a large yellow plug going into it. I thought this was the alarm, but I have it unplugged with same issues so obviously it is not the alarm. The other box has 2 plugs side by side and it has something to do with the power windows being when I unplug it thats the only thing that doesnt work. Like I said neither of these have the yellow/blue disarm wire everyone is referring to.
Just so everyone else know, aftermarket door actuators are cheap and easy to install on our cars. I got mine at pep boys for 7$ each. Directed part number 524t. They will also work with pretty much any alarm system with 2 relays (look up 5 wire aftermerket actuator door lock relay wiring for diagram) anyhow I hope someone has some insight on this and also hope it helps someone else on down the road

GSTwithPSI

Disabling the factory alarm is pretty straight forward. Snip one wire, and done: click

Now, throw an aftermarket alarm into the mix with a cluster f*** of modifications to the harness, and I have no idea what additional problems could have been created. All I can say is if you follow the instructions above, it will disable the factory alarm. I hope that answers at least part of your question.

jepherz

Staff member
I don't get why you are going through the hassle of replacing the door (i assume lock?) actuators? You said the doors would lock so they obviously worked... your problems may be more to do with the door lock switch travel indicators, but it's hard to tell since you didn't really describe the issues you were seeing.

strokin4dr

If you unplug that ETACS box the locks wont work anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Keep it simple and unhacked. Don't replace the factory actuators with aftermarket junk!

Pushinink

PROBLEM SOLVED! my wire was yellow/red in my 91. 2nd pin over on the smaller harness of the module for future ref. also the etacs module does say omron on it, and its much easier to get to the plugs when you unbolt it. gstwithpsi, I am very familiar with that thread, read over it many times. The problem is I dont have a yellow/blue wire in my harness. Strokin4dr, to late, already have the aftermarket actuators in and working perfectly. The problem with the factory ones was pass side didnt work at all, and drivers(and rear doors) would lock, then repeatedly unlock making it impossible to lock my car unless I pulled the door lock fuse. also sometimes the alarm would go off in the middle of the night randomly. I clean the key cyl. switches and door pin switches. Sick of screwing with the factory stuff, just want it disabled.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
The wires on the back of the tumbler just needed to be lubed. Problem fixed.

strokin4dr

Not always true, G.
Lube may solve your problems though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting G:
The wires on the back of the tumbler just needed to be lubed. Problem fixed.

Lubricating wires? Huh?

G

Staff member
I meant the little switch that is attached to the back of the tumbler. It has 3 wires attached to it. 99% of the time this is the problem when the locks automatically unlock them selves.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts