The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TSB for Aligning the Rear

Cleaning my Garage I found this paper to help those who are having problems with getting their rear alignment done with 4WS.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I took that with me to the shop a few years ago when having 855 aligned. they looked at me like I was from Mars. Then they proceeded to screw it up and I had rear tire wear issues.

I would suggest undoing the rear tie rod ends before going to get an alignment, then reinstalling them yourself following the shop's adjustment. Just make sure and adjust them properly so you have no preload affecting the just performed alignment.

marvinmadman

^That's exactly how you do it. I've been doing alignments for a while and that is the only way I would do mine. Anything else is just stupid. Disconnect tie rods, do the 4 wheel alignment, screw/unscrew tie rods so they fall right in without pulling or pushing on the control/trailing arms. DONE!!!

Last edited:

prove_it

thanks for posting this, even though I work as a tech I would have not done this when I did my car. Guess that's what happens when you align honda's all day long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

atc250r

Staff member
Some alignment machines will actually warn you to disconnect the 4WS before doing the alignment.

John

SouthCaliVR4

Just did mine, Had to replace two tires because the last alignment I paid for was fubar! I gave then a printout of how to do it & I think they just ignored me Set the front toe charged me for a four way & sent me down the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. So glad to work where we have an alignment rack again, never did trust anybody to touch my car but me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Car just absolutely handles better now. Stand over their shoulder while they do it to make sure the tech won't puss out & screw you over, I'd swear as bad as it was they must have just eyeballed it, Tire Factory in Tacoma WA, FTMFL!!!

EMX5636

^ I do my own as well, but I tell people to make sure you request the print out of your alignment. I don't know of any decent machine that doesn't have printer capabilities, and then you can see before/after.

im a tech and specialize in front end work and the alignment print out really means nothing because you can change the specs in the alignment program so it shows up green/in spec without changing anything. this comes in handy with old chrysler minivans and volkswagens/nazi sh*t boxes.

600 is right, the printout is a way to fool the customer into unnecessary alignment parts and so they feel like you've done something to earn their money. The numbers can be manipulated anyway the user wants. I'm not saying that every printout ever printed is bogus, its just not 100% reliable, that's all.

highrpm666

Yet again, 600 is right. I'm a tech and over the many years I've used Hunter racks, I have learned that you can very easily go into the vehicle specifications and modify them to put "EVERYTHING IN THE GREEN". Much easier than adding shims or fighting old bent or settled suspensions or having to reposition subframes.

Though, I have done quite a few of the local gvr4's in my area and on almost every vehicle I have had to torch the rear tie rods or toe adjustment eccentrics/cams. Not because of rust either. It's just old and corroded and sometimes refuse to turn or loosen up in the first place. I've been able to get most of these cars set up absolutely perfect to either factory or user defined specs.

I guess what I am saying is, it's totally doable. Make sure the shop you take it to has an experienced tech who has done atleast a couple aws alignments and understands how to do this without melting bushings or completely ruining the alignment all together. I'd suggest talking with the tech and seeing if you can watch. Call around till you talk to somebody wbo seems confident and knowledgeable. And most importantly knows what a vr4 is when you mention it!

Edit:whoops for some reason I thought I was commenting on "miguextreme's" post -CAN THE REAR WHEELS BE ALIGNED.. Got linked here and forgot by the time I submitted my comment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts