The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil cooler install questions?

turbophein

i have a summit oil cooler i am trying to install in the vr4. i went to the local parts store and they can't find anything that will fit my application.

i have a 90 OFH, the lines coming from the cooler are -8 with a female end earls fitting. i somehow need to tap the -8 into the filter housing. at first i wanted a banjo fitting that had the -8 threads on the end of it and couldn't find one, then i looked for a male to male adapter fitting to just screw into the housing and couldn't find that either.

i think the stock banjo bolt is a m16 x1.50 thread right? and i have a -8 braided line.

so i either need a banjo fitting that is M16 and has -8 threads on the end or the M16 x1.50 to -8 adapter.

any help would be great

turbophein

just found these click

i was just assuming my line was -8an from a pic i saw in the earls catalog, but i am not sure, and they don't even carry a -8 adapter.

i tried googling to find the diameter of a -6 or -8 line and got a bunch of useless fishing links

Edit: -6an is 3/8" line
-8an is 1/2" line

Last edited:

mooserage

Staff member
I think this is answered, but since I have the paper right next to me,it is an 8an male to 16mmx1.5mm male (Summit Aeroquip part # FBM2243)
-shamus

Edit: The above link to earl's stuff is for o-ringed flare fitting, not what you need. You want this: click

Last edited:

turbophein

yes i was worried about that o-ring! thanks for the info, much appreciated!!!

Last edited:

TylerAdamson

9919EFJ is the EARLS part number for the m16x1.5 to -8 fitting, and its $7.99 from AN Plumbing. As for what fitting to use, that would depend on where you were going to mount the Oil Cooler unit. I would think that a 90* fitting would work for most locations though.

raptorWagon

My question from what I've read in other threads..is the general consensus to use crush washers with the AN fittings to prevent leaks from the OFH housing and the stock 90' cooler if using one?

Copper washers along with a small amount of thread sealer. Forgot the name of the company, maybe staybond but arp has some too. Hasn't leaked a drop.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned