The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help. Excessive crancase pressure

alik

Symptoms are: 1) turbo blows oil on WOT, and when coasting down
2) Dipstick pops every now and then.

FP told me that it is most likely ECP.

Could you please walk me through this like I'm a 5-year old?

Thanks in advance!
(Why, oh, why, can't everything be as simple as suspension? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Last edited:

Muskrat

Is you're PCV value working and routed to the IM? Is the crankcase vent routed to your intake pipe?

alik

Dunno about the PCV working.
I know I replaced it before the car was parked (for 2 years).

The crankcase vent is working, and routed through newly installed catch can to the intake pipe.

rgeier11

You should have either a catch-can or a PCV. Not both. If you still have the PCV, blow into it on both sides. It should be a one way valve.

alik

I installed catch can as a way to remedy the oil burning.
And, it only went on today. Still, no cigar

mikus

in order:
• assume your PCV is bad, get another OEM from MITSU, MUST be OEM. $10
• compression test, free
• go back to stock setup - PCV to IM, Valve cover vent (VCV) to preturbo/post MAF air intake, nothing open. a closed inline CC is fine

One of these three should show the cause.

alik

You lost me.
Please, explain

mikus

I'm assuming lost at #3 (#1 and #2 should be clear or searchable)--

For #3 we're looking to revert to stock-style vacuum routing from the valve cover.
• The PCV screws into the (facing from front) back of valve cover. A tube routes from there to the front of the stock IM. Air is evacuated by motor vacuum
• The Valve cover vent on the left side of the valve cover runs to the air intake stock. Air is evacuated at all times and the draw increases as the turbo spools up.

Many owners will mess with this setup, and many aftermarket parts such as intake pipes and intake manifolds don't have the necessary lines. The stock setup is the most efficient way to evacuate the crankcase.

Last edited:

alik

I meant blow by.
That lost me

Blow by means losing compression past the piston rings. A compression test will tell. Although with these cars it is far more likely to be something in the PCV system than worn rings.

i had the same problem and by getting a dipstick that stayed closed and a catch can all my problems went away.

In the event that you are going to delete the PCV then you need a 1/8" NPT fitting, commonly found at certain auto parts stores. This will thread right in and lets you feed that now permanently open port to a catch can = nearly zero crank case pressure. Don't forget to seal the now open port on your intake mani. or suffer from a huge vacuum leak.

mikus

^ it's british standard thread (BSPT) thread not NPT. Many use NPT, but many valve covers have chewed up threads. Jay racing sells a BSPT open fitting specifically for this.

Also for consideration is that while open breathers can be sufficient, crankcase vacuum has additional benefits.

alik

Thanks very much, mikus, for all the great info.
Just checked my PCV, it's working fine.

I'm starting to think more and more that it's turbo seals

curtis

One fix for the tube jumping out is a pair of vice grips and slightly oval the dipstick tube and you can get an umbrella valve stem seal from a ford or chevy V8 and up on as well to keep vapors from making a mess. Put this only solves it jumping out not why. There's a big thread in the one lap section on this. Go read it as well.

Get a 2g dipstick. It fixed my issue. I dont have excessive crankcase pressure but the seal to my stock dipstick was shot.

alik

Just got a new dipstick, and, it sealed like a champ!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned