The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ACT FTW.......not so much

464/2K

So my brother inlaw had an ACT clutch fail on him about a year ago(due to spring failure). Well we contacted ACT and they offered to replace the clutch for

free. Well Not long ago he was driving back from North Carolina and about 1000 miles into the trip he started to have trouble getting into gear. The trans

in this car is a custom Shep trans so we knew the trans was not the culprit. Like 3 days ago my dad went to move the car and it jumped as if it the clutch

was stuck. So Jon(jonvr4) and my Dad started pulling the trans yesterday to see what the deal was we suspected the clutch to be the problem once again.

Finally after an hour of tinkering with it the trans was off and they removed the clutch to find this. Last time the spring tried to leave the hub.

This time the Hub decided it hates life and hit the "self distrust" button.

464/2K

Oh i forgot to add that by every spring the hub had hair line cracks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Sorry Daryl, no more ACT for us. We went back to an OEM disk on this car due to it only having a 2.5" exhaust. How ever we did keep the ACT streetl

3rdstrikedsm

ACT is junk!! I had this happen in my evo once and will never again run an ACT or a single disk for that matter.
I can't believe people still buy their garbage parts, The best part is if you tell them about it they will blame the installer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Wow. I have been running an ACT trouble free for years. I hope mine doesn't do this..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

464/2K

The older ones are fine its this new stuff that is trash.

Yeah, we have not purchased any new ACT products, this was on the car and we happened to have the receipt and Daryl helped us out. Big thanks to him btw.

turbowop

My last ACT2600 setup before I went with the QM twin had the old style disk and ejected the springs. I thought they fixed that problem with the new disks? Guess not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

656of1000

This was my last 2600 lb pressure plate.
DSCN0140.jpg

ACT replaced it for free and covered the resulting damage to the bell housing. My new 2600 lb clutch, with only 3k miles, is getting soft. Somehow while driving one day, the pedal effort went really soft. It's been that way for a few months now, but the clutch still grabs just fine, and my gear changes have never been smoother. But I've got to wonder, what is potentially going bad to make the pedal get soft suddenly. I may consider shopping around when this clutch is done.

vtecds1

^^^My 2600 almost feels like it`s a stock clutch. I thought the shop that installed and rebuilt the tranny ripped me off...but the guy I that did my motor build up said it is in fact a 2600. I haven't driven my car much so we`ll see what happens when my break-in period is over.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I believe Daryl no longer works for ACT.

I stopped using sprung-hub disks years ago because of this problem. ACT, SPEC, the only one I didnt have a problem with was JWT. Since then i started getting my own clutches made. 6puck unsprung with 2600 equivalent PP. Costs me $200. Ive had 3 different ones made for 3 different cars and so far so good.

Street Surgeon

I've used a few ACT's over the years... Had one in my '95 Eclipse GSX that was a 2600 with spring street disc. Clutch worked beautifully always grabbed never broke a sweat and was a pleasure to drive. The other was another 2600 for my Talon that did it's job with no problems.

4thStroke

My ACT 2600/sprung 6 puck doesnt like to shift. In fact, if I bring the RPMs up to 9k and try to shift, it wont even disengage. At 8k RPM it doesnt do this as bad, but it can still be difficult to pull out of gear. I havnt been able to slam a gear in a long time. Tranny is fresh.

Quoting iceman69510:
I believe Daryl no longer works for ACT.

That is correct, I left their in August 09.

Daryl

raptorWagon

I've heard this happen plenty of times with the ACT clutches, I think I'll steer clear of them. By the way in this sentence, probably a typo, but sometimes the wrong letter can bring new meaning.
Quoting 464/2K:

I'm sure you meant "Self Distruct".

I've only ran ACT in my car for all the years I've owned it. Years ago the spring fell out of my 1st clutch. I haven't had a problem with ACT since them. We've installed many ACT clutches in customers cars & do not have any problems with any of them.

4thStroke

Quoting raptorreed:
I've heard this happen plenty of times with the ACT clutches, I think I'll steer clear of them. By the way in this sentence, probably a typo, but sometimes the wrong letter can bring new meaning.
Quoting 464/2K:

I'm sure you meant "Self Distruct".

I'm sure you meant "self destruct."

I had a good experience with ACT about 6 years ago lasted me a while so i decided to go with an ACT again along with a new ACT street disc 2600pp and ACT flywheel and TOB a new pivot ball, fork, master, slave and rebuilt clutch pedal ran fine for about 3200 miles and then failure came see pics totally ruined my Shep stage 4 case to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

by the way its been about 3 months, and to this day ACT has not done anything about it

beaner

Solution

I just received my SBC disc last week and it looks to be really good quality. Trans goes in this week, so we'll see how it works out. I'm using an ~5 year old 2600# PP, so not too concerned over that failing like I'm seeing these newer ones fail left and right.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts