The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DIY WBO2 curiosities

I was just curious if anyone had any experiance with one of those DIY wideband O2 kits like JAW and NAW tech edge and some of the others I have probably never heared of? Are they any good, anyone running one? I would love to hear if it is worth it in the long run... Thanks

talon

It works, but you have to be very advanced in electronics to use it correctly and benefit from everything it offers such as datalogging. I've seen success and failure with it.

I tried one of those out. I got most of the way through the project and bought an AEM wideband.

Unless you solder your own boards its a bunch of work and headaches and the price savings is very small. Read through the instructions carefully theres a lot of stuff not there unless your OK with ghetto. You need to buy parts to make your own connector harness for the O2 sensor, a case for the board, which is HUGE and ugly, theres a bunch of stuff. The AEM wideband even comes with an exhaust bung is compact, clean, water tight its a better all around product. My $.02

Last edited:

Thanks, I appreciate that. What brand were you trying to build? Still have it? I wasn't worried about one with a logging function as long as It had a 5v out that I could log through my EGRT sensor input and I would log through MMcD... I've google'd them and seen the websites, they look good, but then again a lot of things on the web look nice and turn out to be utter crap when you hold it in your hands.

So you never finished it? Were you that detered from it when you were putting it together? Was it that hard?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gifNow that I think about it DIY WBo2 kits are probably like a "In home metal casting and Turbo assembly kit"....

Last edited by a moderator:

1990ggsxnj

Will you be using it on a Speed Density Setup? If so, consistancy is critical. Usually, depending on which system you go with, there's already info for the more common marketed (completely assembled) units.

Last edited:

I was running a JAW 1.03 board in my 93 Talon Tsi. I admit that I didn't assemble the board myself, but I bought it pre assembled. The assembled board plus the Bosche sensor cost me $150. I didn't get a guage because my ems (Jackal) allows monitoring through its data logger. I wound up making a case out of peace of tupperware that I got for about 1 from dollar general, I also installed a fan in the case and mounted it underneath the driver seat. At first I experienced a little trouble getting it to read correctly, but after studying the instructions closer and calibrating it correctly it worked like a charm and I had no problems with it. Even though I haven't had any problems with it I would probably go with an AEM, or LC1 kit just because the fact that they come with a guage and a case so you don't have to make your own. If you want to be different though get the jaw, they sell a guage that you can put together, but I don't really like the looks of it. I may put a car pc in my car so the fact that I don't have a guage won't really be that big of a deal.

I'm not going to be running a speed density set up, just wanting it for tuning purposes. I was planning on logging through my palm logger using the EGRT sensor input so a gauge isn't really necessary.

How long have you been running yours Airmail? Any problems? If I get one I am planning to put it together myself, (I just like tinkering....) Did it look all that complicated to you? Kudos on the tupperware case, bet it looks a lot like people running 20oz bottles for their radiator overflow... Ghetto, yet functional... Do you have any pictures of your setup? Thnx

I was running it for about 4 months before I wrecked the car. I daily drove the car too and from work though (40 miles round trip), and took it on a 1000 mile round trip. Honestly after looking through the instructions online and looking at the board I feel like as long as you have soldered before and you take your time you can't mess it up. The only problem I ever had was when I first hooked it up honestly after getting the calibrations right and setting it up correctly I never had a problem after that, I even had it mounted in the stock o2 sensor location. Running the wiring was probably my hardest part lol.
n25825841_37459870_7352.jpg

n25825841_37459865_5831.jpg

n25825841_37459867_6440.jpg

Those are the only pictures I have of it in the case and mounted in the car.

turbowop

I think I'd rather pay the extra for a nice setup rather than have a tupperware electronics box under my seat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I totally agree with you, I took the cheap way out though by using the tupperware container. If you look around the site I think there is a case that radio shack offers that is much nicer and more compact, I will probably be switching to it after I get back and get another car.

click Comes with a machined case

After seeing this I may be switching to this. The spots you could mount it are limitless.

jepherz

Staff member
Yeah, I agree with most statements, but for some people DIY isn't (and never should be IMO) about saving money or aesthetics.

What all did you use yours for? Anything other than WBO2? I don't mind the tupperware case, but I think I would find a better case... Do you keep it when you wrecked the car? Do you still have it?

My main reason for going with the JAW unit was because I wanted something different from the norm, I was already running speed density using a free tuning tool (DS-MAP) and so I figured I would jsut keep it going. The case I was just being cheap with the case honestly. Besides the tupperware case the only other thing I used was wire to connect it to the sensor (spade connectors were included in the kit)and some vampire clips to tap into the cigarette lighter for power (I know wrong thing to do now). I still have it, right now its sitting in the closet at home (on deployment), I plan on running it though in the next car I pick up, the only thing that sucks about the version board i have for my JAW is that it's been discontinued.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts