The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What parts to use other than OEM? For Timing?

turbophein

ok so i want to replace my timing components and oil pump. does anyone use anything but OEM with good results?

turbo tom said i can get a timing tensioner from "international auto parts" and be fine with it, that he a few others have ran with them and had no problems.

also would like to know if anyone used other oil pumps with success, my motor won't be over 350hp ever so, let me know guys, i want to order my parts and get the VR4 ready for import wars....

if not i will order all OEM,

jepherz

Staff member
I've used Contitech timing belts with no issue to date. I don't know how you'd ever know for sure, but if you search around you can probably find different info on the internet with people saying "brand X is actually OEM". I have seen this first hand on components other than timing belts, anyways.

BoostedAWD91

I wouldnt use anything other than OEM for timing components except for the belt which there are some better ones but your looking at least $100

vr4play

I would stay away from the continental. I know of at least 3 failures of their belts on 4g63 motors. All of which had 5k miles of less on them. I had them on 1 of my cars and pulled them off. The continental belt off my car with 6k miles on it looked in worse shape that the oem belt with 60k on it. It had cracking on almost all of the teeth.

turbophein

well i have a like new gates belt already, others on other forums mentioned partsdinosaur.com for tensioners and pulleys. the water pump and oil pump i guess will be OEM. just these parts alone is going to be around $400-$500. plus the price of a used motor and i am getting up there in price...

turbophein

well i don't plan on doing the oil pump and front case, but i will do the BSEK, i have read a lot and i don't think it will be an issue right now (126k)

i plan on getting OEM tensioner and pulleys and a topline water pump, new gaskets all around except for the Head Gasket. along with a full tune-up.

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting 1457gvr4:
I was told that Continetal makes the oem belts for Mitsu.

That would be for BMW, I believe.

Quoting Hertz:
Quoting 1457gvr4:
I was told that Continetal makes the oem belts for Mitsu.

That would be for BMW, I believe.

I know for sure they are the OEM supplier for Audi.

turbowop

My old Contitech belt is hanging up on the garage wall. Says made in Germany. Better than Taiwan I guess.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned