The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wheel Bearings( Rear)

Hey guys just wondering if bearings are pressed or pack.. I had on place tell me the bearings are part of the hub( 160$ each ) and if bring them the bearings they can't do it cause they do not have a press. Another place told me they are packed and will cost me only $160 total to do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif..

gtluke

It's pressed on the axle stub, you can get it off with a gear puller if you have a full size one.
IIRC there is a 2nd one on the inside that just pulls out easy.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
When you pull the hub (axle stub shaft), the outer bearing is pressed on and stays on. The inner bearing stays in the trailing arm, and can easily be tapped out from the outside-in.

Both bearings are sealed type.

Terry Posten

Yeah, no packing.

Just press them in and onto the shaft.

The rears are easily done in your garage. The fronts will have to be done at a shop with a LARGE press..

bazeng

Anybody have part numbers for the rear and fronts?

I'm planning to go 5stud shortly and will require a change in bearings.

Thanks

Terry Posten

click

That thread will point you in the right direction.

Thanx Guys.. I have it at a place that " The 4th" that will only reaplace the whole thing, May not be such a bad idea considering the car has a TON of miles on it but$250 a side is a lot.. Terry I looked at your post " JNZ wheel bearings " and saw $170 a side. I just called a local mitsu dealer and they said $245 a a side.. :/, Owell I bit the bullet HARD.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

WOW ok Sctach shop #4 they can not do it either. They said the spindal is to long for there press. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I'm actully starting to get reallt PO'd.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Terry Posten

Don't take the rears to a shop to do it.

Here, look about half way down this page for my write up on how to do the rears.

click

fivestardsm

I was wondering if you were going to post that Terry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And by the way, you do not have to take the front bearings to a shop. That is if you know what your doing, and you get the hand press that autozone and advanced auto have in the loan a tool program. Or you can get creative and make your own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I had to make my own because I have had to do so many frickin bearings its rediculous.

Terry Posten

Yeah, I would have done it myself but I was running out of energy and just wanted to get it done.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned