The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Motor oil test, shocking results Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Pur

Brianawd

Brianawd

click

Test info provided by amsoil. Its funny to see how the independent lab that amsoil payed to have the test done rates all the oils.

Yes would have been great to see Amsoil and Valvoline full synthetic on that test, especially considering how well the Valvoline Durablend performed.

turbowop

So according to the independent Amsoil test, the Mobil One 15w50 that I use seems to be okay stuff. I wonder why in the first test posted they used 0w40 weight oil.

Last edited:

Spyder

WOW!!

I have always liked Valvoline. I am pretty satisfied with those results. But damn! Royal Purple FTW!

Brianawd

Quote:
So according to the independent Amsoil test, the Mobil One 15w50 that I use seems to be okay stuff. I wonder why in the first test posted they used 0w40 weight oil.

I would like to see a test of Amsoil vs RP vs mobil on. All using a 20w50 oil.

I really think they are good oils. I just put RP back in my car for the first time this year after the engine brake in. I went back to it because of the way my bearing looked last year.

fivestardsm

Wow, $30 a liter for the Royal Purple Racing 51 oil! I cna change the oil in a semi for around the same money..

But holy crap that stuff is good, but Was the Amsoil Test actually saying it was better than the Royal Purple though?

gvr4ever

Quoting dsm_drew:
Yes would have been great to see Amsoil and Valvoline full synthetic on that test, especially considering how well the Valvoline Durablend performed.

I would have liked to see Valvoline full synthetic on that test too. Mainly, because I've been running that lately. I'll continue to do so. Mainly because it's a $1 cheaper a Qt then Mobil 1 at spraw-mart.

I've kind of always wondered about those test though. I mean, how are those test really a comparison on what goes on in a engine? I've seen a few high mileage pics of mobil 1 ran 4g63t heads and cranks with hardly any wear and very clean.

Are the race oils sold to the public, not the same that gets used on the track? Are they not proven in real cars?

GIjoe

I use Valvoline Durablend too. My mechanic advised me to use this oil (it's actually the only oil he keeps in his shop). At first, I wasn't really convinced but he told me that it's actually really good, so I was like what the hell, at least its not that expensive, plus it can't be that bad. Well, I guess it turned out he was right about it being good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

ken inn

when any of those other companies walk the walk, like:
click
and:
click
or:
click

THEN i might use something else. anyone ever seen a commercial by mobil about the million mile bmw? and why not? also, at about 600k, the bmw blew a coolant hose, and the computer shut it down. the next day, the engineers came in, found the car stopped. they disassembled the motor, and measured for wear. there was none, so they reassembled it, and ran it to a million miles. then the car was driver to vegas, and put on display. after that, it was driven back to new york, and it now lives in the bmw museum in germany.

PJGross

I saw the falex test done in '99 at a local st. louis royal purple distributor. I was pretty impressed by it, but I always thought they were just showing off one characteristic where they had an advantage? Never had a problem w/ royal purple in my SS, but I did switch to M1 0-W40 after reviewing many oil analysis results by other SS owners.

-PJ

Quoting turbowop:

Thats what I have been using in my turbo cars since I started seeing it around here a few years ago. Before like 06 i couldnt find it and ran 10w30.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lonewolf64

Strange indeed that they used 0w40. 15w50 is the only stuff I've ever put into 889 and it seems to be doing its job.

Spyder

I have always been told how good RP is. I have never used it though. After looking at that test I showed it to my brother in law who owns an '07 Si. He got RP engine oil and trans oil. We changed it today and after a good test drive, he says it is like driving a new car. You can't deny how good the RP is for sure...

Brianawd

I run RP in everything. Diff/xcase/trans/engine. When my trans was apart for the new 2nd gear I asked the guy who built in to my how it looked and he said great.
I just did a oil change and I can say my car runs smoother going from 10w40 non synthetic to the RP 20w50. Next time I change the oil I may try 20w50 mobile one and see if I feel any difference between the Way the car runs on the RP compared to the Mobile one

People don't flame me for running a thick oil. It is a must when running aluminum rods.

prove_it

All engines are different though so what works good in one may not work for another. I like Shell Rotella HD. It's cheap and contains higher levels of zinc like most "racing oils".

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts