The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Instrument cluster pondering

curtis

Round two of tech section renewal.

Mr Paul send me a JDM VR4 RS cluster years ago... well I plan to put it in the car but everything is mirror image and the lights are different locations etc. The harnesses will have to be re-pinned which is no big deal but the only real problem is the speedo drive is located in the wrong spot so I'll have to cut the bracket out of the car and shift it over and re attach....real pain in the back but solvable. If not I could switch everything around and might even get the circuit flex panel from the us to work haven't taken both apart and tried so not sure on any of that.

The rs by the way has the correct calibration to match the us cars.

Does anyone have a JDM caps page for the instrument cluster from an RS and a USDM sheet as well. Would appreciated the help. Thanks

fivestardsm

Although for the obvious JDM bling, are you changing or debateing anyway, because of the KMH? I too have a JDM rs cluster and was going to try to make it work , but noticed that there were quite a few obvious and not so obvious differences to them. The mirror image isnt exactly mirrored. The trip and the color change I belive are the same, or is it the level gauges. I cant re-call right off, but when I cracked mine open, I realized that that would be a project for another time. I ended up getting another US spec cluster and rolling the milleage back to match the original that was burnt to a crisp.

So what ever you come up with, please make a note of everything you do!!

BTW, I do not condone odometer tampering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

curtis

I just want to use it because its in km and its just backwards mainly. The wiring is as far as I made it as well I noticed that some of the traces were different and going in different directions so I quit until later.

fivestardsm

Well keep me posted Crtis, maybe I will have to get mine back out and tear into it again just cause.

RedTwo

So if you just flipped them over, would it make things spin backwards or would there be other issues?
It would be neat to see a reversed (counter clockwise) tacho like an Aston Martin.

fuel

redtwo, I think he means flips the orientation of the gauges - on RHD cars it has the speedo on the left and tacho on the right with fuel gauge at the base of the speedo and temp gauge at the base of the tacho, and on LHD cars it has the speedo on the right hand side and tacho on the left side - however - the fuel and temp gauges don't flip sides like they do with the speedo and tacho, the fuel gauge on LHD is at the base of the tacho now and the temp gauge is at the base of the speedo.

*edit* with pics:

LHD USDM MPH gauge cluster
galant_before.jpg

RHD JDM 180km/h and 7000rpm redline gauge cluster
dash.jpg

JDM VR-4 (and other E3#A series model) gauges are almost usually 180km/h with a few RS models having the 240km/h gauge. World spec models vary from 200km/h to 240km/h depending on trim but non turbo models don't have the boost meter obviously. I think there is a LHD Euro spec VR-4 Galant with a 240km/h cluster but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, the colour change feature is only the pre-facelift models, facelift models lost this feature.

Last edited:

RedTwo

180kph? Man I lucked out, I've got a colour changing JDM 220 kph speedo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
As far as a I know, the 240kph unit came on the 3.909 or maybe all facelift Galants. I forget the specific things in my old age :/

Just thinking about it, the main problem would be the back of the unit. Last time I looked, the speedo cable adaptor is part of the instrument cluster body, not the gauge faces. So, unless there is some cutting and hacking, you must have the speedo on the passenger side of the instrument cluster.

fuel

Mine is 3.909 and facelifted and it has the 180km/h speedo.

If it's a colour changing speedo it will be from a pre-facelift (up to October 89 build) Galant. Does it have 7k rpm redline and boost gauge? If not, it could be from a domestic model GTi-16V hatchback.

Fever

LHD Euro non-turbo Mitsubishi Galant (89) GTI-16v.
P1150418.jpg

Maybe these would help for you:
P1150415.jpg

P1150413.jpg

P1150414.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts