The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Why the CEL???

Brunoboy

Hi guys, I have a 92 Galant vr4. has a SAFC thats been hooked up since january, no problems there, over the past four months I have been gettin a CEL of code 44 (coil packs) since i have replaced it with about three known working ones, but the code still pops up. now it has gone away (no idea how), now i got 5 codes, I dont remember exactly the number but I do know what they are for. 1)Cam Angle Sensor. 2) Coolant temp (I havent had a sensor on my thermostat housing since I bought the car and it hasnt appeared til now) 3) TDC, 4) Barometric, and the 5)Air Temp sensor, IDK whats going on, I had the maf changed with my friends GOOD maf from his 92 talon tsi awd, and it still pops the codes, I also redid the wires to the safc today, still no luck, Can it be my ECU itself???? please let me know, I am going to the track sunday. Thanks
-Shane

If that were the case, just take the ecu cover off and check for blown capacitors. If nothing looks irregular, swap the ecu for another one.

Brunoboy

i took it out, i saw some like sticky or greasy mark on it, kind of black but a translucent black, I also smelled it, my friend said he doesnt smell anything, but I smell a faint scent of Fish or rotting fish 0_o.
-Shane

ktmrider

Shane not to dig on ya but the ECU check/swap was suggested months ago when you posted on the code 44.
Get with Terry Posten or SteveP immediately, they should be able to salvage it ( assuming this is your problem ).

Brunoboy

yha i didnt do it, i didnt have cash and i have no job, now im getting my tax return, and right about time its giving out. I will swap today with Tre3zy's ECU to see what happens, *cross fingers*

Gimpin

I don't get it ... why don't you just get your ECU fixed ... it needs fixed either way

Brunoboy

because if i get it fixed, i want an extra on the side, because with our cars, you never know ahaha and I need my DD now. but real talk, I was also thinking of buying link, but im waiting to see if anyone has it for sale with an ecu.

Brunoboy

yup , my homies ecu worked perfectly, no codes, smooth acceleration. done deal =]., now i gotta find one by saturday..........lol

Brunoboy

I picked up an Eprom today for 50$ works like a charm, glad too

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned