The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Installing springs and struts, the rears are kicking my a**

TurboTrader

I'm installing mild drop springs and KYB GR2 Struts on number 145, and these rears are just giving me a ton of headache. For having done this before on the Eclipse, I can't believe I'm having so much trouble. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

The rear pass. side I got done in an hour or so, and the shock wasn't too much to get off, but the drivers side is the real trouble. I just can't get the damn thing off the lower control arm. Probably because these things have been on here since 1991, considering they are original springs/struts.

So, I'm wondering, if anyone that has done this before, what did you do to get it off?

I'm just all out of ideas, so... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

CarRacer

If you have access to an air hammer, it worked really well on my car. Just buzz it a little at the 3,6,9, and 12 parts of a clock.

I tried the torch method, and the air hammer worked ten times better. The torch just destroyed the bushing and made a horrid smell. You could hardly tell the air hammer touched the other shock.

Ian M

If it's really rusted on,you can take a cut off wheel or a Dremel,and cut a slot or two in the metal around the lower bushing,then pry it apart. Pull out the strut. Cut off the rubber,then carefully do the same (not to cut too deep and cut into the stud) with the inner sleeve.

Last edited:

BluFalcon

I used a big honking prybar, and some Kroil to try and free it up. Find a good spot and try and pry it off the perch. I ended up tearing the rubber insert, and cutting off the metal sleeve when it was all said and done. Sounds like Ian M's method of cutting the bottom of the strut bushing and peeling it apart is going to be the easiest and quickest way to get it done.

Last edited:

TMG

I sprayed it with something like a W40 for a few days (soak it real good) and use a puller. It took me a few days to get it off this way.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned