The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Coolant leak... Heater?

While i was driving along the other night i smelt the foul smell of coolant in my car... I still can. Cant see in visible leaks in the engine bay, and the smell is only inside the car. Im definitely loosing coolant, but cant seem to find any wet patches inside the car... I've recently done a coolant flush, could this have caused it? What exactly could be the problem? Oh its a 1995 Mitsubishi Galant Sports GT VR-4. Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Potentially, if you used any pressure to clean out the system, you may have opened an already weak spot in the heater core. Likely the leak is small since you can smell but not see it, or it is running under the carpeting and soaking in the insulation material beneath.

Either way, you need to fix that. Stuff will fog your windshield all the time.

How much would i be looking at to get it fixed? Would it be a whole new heater core, or maybe just a hose?

slobra

I just recently replaced the heater core in my galant and I got one really cheap off a member on here. I replaced it myself and the easiest way is to take out the dash and take out all the hvac components.

It may sound like alot but there is a thread in the how to section on how to take out the dash and its pretty easy. If you decide to do it and you need some help just PM me and I'll give you some pointers.

EDIT: I just saw your car is a 95. Still, if its anything like an E39A, it'll probably be easier to take the dash out.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts