The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Noisy Tappets/Lifters

Recently bought a Mitsi Galant SPorts GT Vr-4 and have noticed the tappets/lifters are a quiet noisy... Is this a big issue? What can i do to shut them up? I have try changing my oil, running 10W - 40 magnatech at the moment, car is at 150000kms. Cheers

ktmrider

If the car has a 4g63 or equivalent motor then yes the lifters are notorious for being noisy.
Buy some 3rd generation lifters ( much larger center oil passage ) and "hear the silence".
You can also check the cleaning thread on www.vfaq.com if you don't want to upgrade the stock lifters ( altho the amount of work is the same either way ).

Last edited:

GVR4_1057

^ Yeah the 3rd gen lifters fix it right away and you will soon forget what it even sounded like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dmj

I did the third gen lifters on mine and it is still noisy, I have learned to live with it as the car runs fine.

gvr4ever

Ya, I got 3rd gen and the tick came back. Not as bad as it used to be, but I give up.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting dmj:
I did the third gen lifters on mine and it is still noisy, I have learned to live with it as the car runs fine.

While logging various cars, I've found that lifter noise will occaisionally be picked up by the knock sensor and reported to the ecu.

The ecu will then turn the timing down considerably.

Quote:
Ya, I got 3rd gen and the tick came back. Not as bad as it used to be, but I give up.

Is your oil pan in good shape?

An oil pan that's been smacked can smash the pan up against the pickup, causing some variances in oil flow to the pump under different load/g forces.

This can cause one of the other causes of lifter noise, which is air getting entrained in the oil.

A bent pan bottom can also put the pan bottom at an angle to the pick-up. This can also cause cavitation, or a vortex to form under high g's/low oil levels that will let the pump swallow some air.

Since the air is compressible, it'll give you some intermittent tick when it gets up to the lifters.

If it's bent, straightening out the bottom of the pan so it has the correct clearance to the pickup should be added to the list of things to do the next time you have the car down for maintainance.

While you have it apart, inspect the gasket on the oil pump pick up tube to the front cover, as you might be drawing some air in there as well.

vr4play

Long ago I noticed that some different brands of oil filters would cause the lifters to be noisy. I try to stick with a oem, Denso, Purolator pureone, Mobil or K&N filters. I also noticed that it would tick a lot using Mobil 1 oil. I used the Purolator oil filters and Schaeffer oil in my wife's talon and it only ticked when it got close to time for an oil change. I stole that motor and put it in my DD galant w/3G lifters and it hasn't made a noise since with 180k on the clock. A trick I used to use to help clean them out was to pour a quart of transmission oil in the engine and let it idle for about 10 mins and then change the oil. Used to help my tick before I upgraded the lifters.

GIjoe

I know this must be a noob question, but what exactly are 3g lifters? I know what lifters are, I want to change mine, since the tick is unbearable, thats why I want to know what the 3G denotation stands for. thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The original lifters had a very small hole for the oil, 1mm IIRC. They have since been revised and new lifters have a larger oil hole. 3G lifters are the most recent revision, the third design.

GIjoe

ok thanks. but is there another name for them? how can I find and order a set? is "3g lifters" the oem name? or is there a company that makes these? did they come stock in some mitsus? (so I can find the original parts number)? thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Most any place you buy them will call them "revised" lifters. OE part number is MD377054. I think Parts Dinosaur had them pretty cheap too.

ktmrider

Quoting GIjoe:
ok thanks. but is there another name for them? how can I find and order a set? is "3g lifters" the oem name? or is there a company that makes these? did they come stock in some mitsus? (so I can find the original parts number)? thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3g = 3rd generation or the model year 2000 Eclipse.

The 3rd gen Eclipse uses shaft mounted rockers and a second spring on top of the valve spring to act as a lash adjuster. Doesn't have lifters.

Most people assume that "3rd gen" or "3G" refers to 3rd gen Eclipse, but its the "3rd revision" of the lifter design. These are the same lifters used in the EVO 8.

ktmrider

Excellent, thanks for the correction drew!

GIjoe

Quoting dsm_drew:
The 3rd gen Eclipse uses shaft mounted rockers and a second spring on top of the valve spring to act as a lash adjuster. Doesn't have lifters.

Most people assume that "3rd gen" or "3G" refers to 3rd gen Eclipse, but its the "3rd revision" of the lifter design. These are the same lifters used in the EVO 8.

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking...since the 3g eclipse doesnt even come with a 4G63 engine..I didnt know which other mitsu might have these revised lifters (was suspecting an evo but not sure which one) Thanks again for the parts number too!

Last edited:

mountaineerjeff

where is the absolute cheapest place to get these? would used ones be a problem? I figured that you could get some from a wrecked evo for next to nothing

Rausch

They pop up on Ebay for about $7x for the set.

Mike and GIJoe, you're welcome.

Many people install used lifters without problems. People sell them in the FS section of this board all the time. You can always give them a good cleaning before you install them, as shown here .

Parts Dinosaur has aftermarket replacements for cheap too, here. I know many people will say "stick with OEM only" but 1) somebody else makes them for Mitsubishi in the first place, and 2) they're lifters, not a critical part like an oil pump. Just another option.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts