The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

alternator?

mountaineerjeff

well my ps pump just recently locked up. when it did it over heated the pulley and also snapped the alternator belt. my e-barake light, abs light, and battery light all came on. I replaced the alternator belt the next day. and every thing was fine for a few days. I then replaced my ps pump. after driving around town for a couple days, the same lights came on again. the belt is still intact. my temp gage never moved from the center, so I dont 'think' the water pump is bad. what are my options? I know I need to do some tests, but its cold and dark, so I just need some place to start, alt. just go bad? belt at the wrong tension? some cable connection? I know im a little vague, but I wont have a chance to look at it for til tomorrow night, so I figured I could get rid of some trial and error. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I figure it has to be something that could get worse over time, since it was fine for a few days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
have yet to have the car in acceptable condition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Last edited:

14u2nV

Check your belt tension first, then check all the wires going to the alt. Maybe the snapped belt stripped a couple. Check your voltage at the bat running and not. Check for loose/broken/missing grounds.

mountaineerjeff

i dont know how the tension should be for sure, its taunt but not too tight

You can measure the deflection, I cant remember what it's supposed to be. I want to say like 3/4's of an inch.
I would have a parts retailer bring out their fancy machine to test if the alternator is putting out the right amount... That should tell you lots.

mountaineerjeff

read 12v on battery, and alternator. I guess the alternator is bad. it just went out I suppose.

Start the car. Measure voltage with a multimeter, turn on the lights and see if theres a draw on the battery. If so, the alternator is not doin its job.

mountaineerjeff

well I know the alternator isnt doing its job, the car battery goes dead, doesnt hold a charge, everything goes dim as the battery dies. I know it doesnt work, I just wasnt sure why. I thought that the 3 lights on the dash was a sort of code. I guess I will need to replace it now, what cars have alternators that will work on the gvr4. I know that the vr4 has a higher amp output, but I know others will mount, so I need to find the cheapest thing for right now.

Some Hyundai Sonata alternators apparently work, because that is what I got as a rebuild. But I cannot be more specific about which year/model.
Mike R.

91GSR

damn bro all kinds of bad stuff happenin to you. the galant alt is a 90 amp alternator, and from what ive read, most DSMs have a 75. im not sure where a cheap one could be had. if u have taken most of the power stuff out of ur cara 75 would most likely work since the 90 is only there to support the power windows/locks/sunroof/abs etc etc

mountaineerjeff

Quoting mj_rosenfeld:
Some Hyundai Sonata alternators apparently work

anyone know which ones?

yes its seems like I cant keep my car together for two days in a row. not only do I have all of my power options, but I also have a stereo system installed in the vr4. I know I would want the extra power, but I would settle for a downgrade to get me through the winter

Probably whichever years Hyundai used Mitsubishi 2 liter NA motors. Without more research, I would guess throughout the 1990's.
Mike R.

vr4play

Just go get one for a vr4. They are around $135.00 for a reman. OCA makes a pretty good one. That is what I have one my car. I got it from Smyth(Parts Plus). Don't know if you have one in your area but good luck.

91GSR

if u still ahve all ur power stuff then getting a reman is prolly ur best bet. or just rebuilding it urself, which requires quite a bit of electronics know-how and time im sure.

Rausch

Don't forget, these things tend to eat alternators. Aftermarket units seem to be a crap shoot, from a functionality/longevity standpoint.

curtis

I'm using a 2.5 subaru unit on mine. It's made by mitsubishi so not alot has to be changed except the mounts had to be shaved down and I used a different pulley but its all in the write up.

click me

mountaineerjeff

so any chance it could just be the fuse? that would be awesome, where is it? I imagine in the fuse box. anything special about getting it out, just checking in advance. maybe I could get lucky with replacing a fuse. if not I guess I have to find the moneys for a new one. but every day my car gets a mm closer to not having a clutch. (just one more problem I have to deal with, but I guess alt. has priority.)

mountaineerjeff

on the plug that hooks into the alt.
my plug has two wires into the alternator, and then there is a third wire that is just hanging there. this wire has no plug, and I dont know where it goes, I believe this caused a short, maybe damaging the alt, or causing a fuse to blow, I couldnt get the fuse out of the box, will have to get some BFPs (big fusking pliers). I tested the voltages and I am obviously not getting ANYthing from the alt. the alt. still spins, so mechanical, and visually it is still sound. maybe this new info will help diagnoses. I have to get this fixed

curtis

The fuse is held on with 10 mm bolts BFP's want work but a small wrench will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

91GSR

yeah i found that out the hard way. cuz i got some BFPs and started yanking...then broke the effing fuse >< had to get the bolt out to take out the fuse. and when i got my car it had a little wire hanging down, but it seemed to be a ground because there was a matching connector on a piece of metal. when i hooked it up my battery stopped dying lol

joec

Are you sure that's not the wire that goes to the power steering pump pressure switch? It has a small bullet connector on it?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts