The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 specific engine mount

NateCrisman

I'm just finishing up assembling 931 from a clutch job. I didin't notice it during dissassembly, but the trans mount is not lining up. The engine/trans seems to be shifted about a full inch tward the firewall

Mount bolted to the tranny and cross bolt in. 4 bolts to the frame are out:
454611698_UUMpU-M.jpg

Top view of how jammed up the mount is with 2 of the frame bolts in. Had to use a big ass prybar to move the trans/engine to the radiator to even get 2 bolt in. It's not good for sure!
454612793_YNLgx-M.jpg

The car has has a few engine swaps in it's lifetime by previous owners. The engine that is in the car now came from a 1g Automatic DSM. Is this what typically happens if DSM engine mounts are used instead of the GVR4 specific mounts? I would assume someone has run into this problem before.

Dialcaliper

The culprit is probably the front roll stopper at a minimum - the VR4 front mount is shifted towards the right of the car slightly, which might account for the twist you seem to have. The correct front mount bracket should be stamped "344" on the side.

I cant vouch for the rear mount - was it an AWD or FWD automatic? If it was FWD you would have the wrong rear mount as well.

NateCrisman

my front mount bracket ends in 47, so it's definatly not the right 344 part for a GVR4. Ill see if I can get a # off the rear bracket tonight to see if both are wrong.

Unfortunatly, I don't really know much about the last engine swap. That was 2 owners ago (Quasimondo on here).

either way, time to start hunting for the correct parts.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Need a 195 in back, 344 in front. Jepherz needs to chime in, as I think he had to redrill the hole in his front mount. Can't recall if he had a 346 or 347.

195 is common to 1gs, but maybe not to automatics.

The trans mount you show is common and should not be the problem.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
I think I had a 347 on my second car when I got it. The engine was somehow jammed in there incorrectly, and I got pissed which led to me finally figuring it out.

The "mount" that everyone is talking about is just the metal bracket that bolts to the engine block; I believe the bushing is the exact same for a gvr4 as it is for a DSM.

I wouldn't even worry about coming up with one; I just cut and redrilled mine and it has worked fine so far. Only took about 20 minutes too. Let me know if you need pictures or anything.

NateCrisman

Thanks for the info guys. My front bracket is wrong, it's 347. That's the issue.

Jepherz: any info you can give me on redrilling the 347 mount would be great. Any spec on new hole relative to the old hole? (ie..1" back, 1" up). I'd rather drill it out tonight and fix my issue right away rather than waiting for a partout/shipping.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
I was able to get a drawing of the correct mount, which helped to see the orientation. However, I think the easiest way to do it is to put the other 3 mounts in and put the motor where you think it should be to keep all of the other mounts in their "center" position, and mark it there. You'll also have to trim off the bottom of the 347 mount because it runs into the radiator support if you don't. I know that when I cut mine off, the factory hole was no longer on the part (to give you some idea).

I'm sure redrilling the holes worked but once you drill the holes you can't UNdrill them, and for as much "Save the VR4's" as I see going on here... that's almost like stabbing every dolphin in the back as it jumps above water... TAKE THAT MOTHER NATURE!

fivestardsm

Quote: 1gcrazy

"I'm sure redrilling the holes worked but once you drill the holes you can't UNdrill them"..

The 347 mount comes from an automatic DSM...tons of them out there

Last edited:

tektic

I have a very similar issue but I'm using the correct roll stops 344 and 195. Is there a specific trans bracket I should be using? What would be the number on that one?

pot

Staff member
Tektic, the gvr4 specific transmission bracket no you want is in the second image the original poster posted. It is 22-H. If memory serves me the only distinction this bracket serves than a 1g AWD/Manual is the provision for 4WS steering pipe.

tektic

thank you. That is the one I am using.

I think I have narrowed the issue down to the cast engine mount brackets on the driver side and front of the engine block. It seems that TEL cars use brackets marked with 10 and Galants use brackets marked with 8. I have The 10 Brackets Installed in my car. I am going to explorer this theory further.

click

transparentdsm

i could be wrong, but im pretty sure that the front roll stop on the 344 bracket has a bushing that sits off-centered toward the bottom. i was just helping a friend with his VR4 and he was off about a 1/4 inch and it was the front roll stop bushing that was wrong.

tektic

I just added the polly bushing and it's not hole is not lower like the stock one however the issue is the engine appears to be twisted in the compartment rather than too low or high.

bazeng

The amount of variables with 4g63 mount possibilities is surprising.

I had about 3 different front roll stops, 4 rear brackets, 4 trans mount combos on the shelf.

tektic

I have a similar collection going. It's fun how people on the interweb tell you they are all the same and not to worry.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts