The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

triangular black gusset plate.. leave it off?

So im just wondering how many of you actually replace the gusset plate after installing your trans or new pass axle? Ive always replaced it on customers cars just because i would hate for something stupid to happen. I just dont see the point of putting it back on unless it does something significant.. Here at my home i dont have air tools so its a major pita to sit there and crank them out and in and i just had my trans off again and i figured id post this up to see how many of you run without the plate. I also attached a picture of it for refrance. Thanks in advance

bustedsm

Keep it! They were installed from the factory for a reason and are there so the subframe doesn't crack under load. Ask me how I know

sounds good lol i was looking while it was off and realized it looked like under a launch or something the subframe may try to flex without it. Thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

belize1334

The control arm takes it's hardest stresses under braking and cornering so that's where it would suffer most from lack of support. The only reason to leave it off would be weight gains and it's just not worth it for a few ounces.

Terry Posten

Myles had that problem. Had to have about 15" of welds to stitch his subframe back together.

VERY important.

14u2nV

:Mines been sitting on a shelf in my garage since I owned the car. When I got it, that piece along with the tranny was in the trunk, and I never had the correct bolts for it. Never had any issues. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

cOmpressor

Obvously you don't drive hard core like Myles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Terry Posten

I think Myles put 30,000 miles on the car in his 1st year. He drove the piss out of it.

14u2nV

werd, mine spends a month on the road, then two in the garage, so-on and so-on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

bah ive been really lucky so far that ive predicted each failing part on my car in the last month before they really rendered my car undrivable(kind of).. Replaced the trans, transfercase, & both front axles. The trans and the xfer both were not kept up on by previous owners so the fluids both came out as muddy trash a bit ago. Then a week later i drained and filled again only to find liquid metal city in BOTH fluids. Then the transfercase started getting REALLY loud and felt like trash so i replaced it and all was well. Then my 3rd gear decided to start grinding and somhow progressed into locking out, then blowing the center diff lol. While replacing the trans found both outer CV boots to be cracked wide open with rocks, dirt ect in there so i got some Raxles put in aswell and i should finally be good to go for a little bit. I am however very tempted to hit the track next friday to see what its got as it feels amazing at 27psi on E85 after my tuning on dsmlink lastweek. Im just VERY nervous that the next weak link will die (stock 3 bolt rear)...

bustedsm

I got lucky and only found a tiny little crack forming and that all the holes lined up on the plate. Keep it

KT

When you remove all the bolts, throw them in a can of parts cleaner while you do the rest of the work. Before reinstalling them, hit them lightly with a wire brush or wire wheel to clean them up. Finally, some all purpose grease on the threads makes future removal a breeze.

I do this with all the hardware I remove while working on the car.

CP

Use the copper-based anti-seize for the downpipe bolts.

Myles

Quoting Terry Posten:
I think Myles put 30,000 miles on the car in his 1st year. He drove the piss out of it.

I don't know if amount of millage has anything to do with it. But that plate is very important definitely don't drive without it.

Quoting bustedsm:
Keep it! They were installed from the factory for a reason and are there so the subframe doesn't crack under load. Ask me how I know

+1 Ask me how I know. Or well just click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned