The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

NOISE IN 4TH GEAR?

Lancer99

To start off with I was driving fine on the highway for about 30mins and when I was about to exit, I rev match into 4th and heard like a rattling/grinding noise coming from the transmission area and somewhat of a grinding noise from the rear diff. area. Every gear is fine including reverse but 4th gear is still making the noise even when double clutch and I made sure theres MT90 in there and theres no leaks. Anythoughts?

Scoops

The intermediate shaft 4th gear is very close to the intermediate shaft bearing which is on the end of the shaft. They are known to go bad. It's possible the bearing is getting loose and making the noise in 4th. Hard to say though...

Jack

Hertz

Staff member
When my 4th "went out" it would only make noise under acceleration load (I could downshift through it without any bad noises). Is that consistent with the shaft bearing, or is it (what I thought) a chipped tooth on only one surface?

Anytime I have seen 4th gear have an issue it usually completely blows apart. They are too small and under too much load to survive in a damaged state. Here is a pic of a broken 4th gear:

DSC02618.jpg

It is difficult to diagnose noises without looking at the car. An intermediate shaft bearing would be my best guess as it is becoming a pretty common problem. Another thing to note is if it makes noise under acceleration load and not deceleration load you could most likely be looking at bearing. A helical trans will put load on one bearing during accel and load the bearing on the other end of the shaft under decel as the gears helical design will push the clusters one way or the other.

Jack

Lancer99

It makes noise all the time accelerating or decelerating. It didn't make any noise while I got on the high way. As soon as I got up to 70mph and cruised at 70mph it was fine until I got off and I wasn't puuting any stress on it until I rev matched into forth to slow down and after that and on my way home it just made that grinding and rattling noise from the transmission area and rear diff made a grinding noise. But the trans I bought two years ago but rarely drive the car, within the two year period I put on just under 20,000 miles and I bought it from J spec auto and this is the first to go wrong with the trans. Oh well just got to buy another built trans then.

Scoops

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts