The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacing power steering lines/tubes (NOT 4ws)

joec

I've got a leak in the metal power steering lines/tubes that are attached to the rack. These are the two tubes that run from the drivers side to the passengers side along the rack. How do I go about replacing these? Access to the fittings on the drivers side looks pretty tight.

I believe these are the part numbers (only one of the tubes is leaking, but the other one looks just as rotted):

MB564865 - Tube assy, p/s cylinder oil
MB564864 - Tube assy, p/s cylinder oil

Thanks.

jepherz

Staff member
are you talking about the hardlines that are part of the rack functionality? I'm going to say you'll have to go ahead and pull the whole rack; it doesn't seem like theres any way to get at the fittings with a wrench if you don't.

14u2nV

I don't believe you can just loosen the rack and fix them, since the column and a line or two go through the top, and would probably have to come off first. Might just have to try and see.

just wondering if you replaced the lines and did u have to tack rack out i got the same problem

joec

I ended up pulling the rack to replace those lines. You can lower the rack, but you have to disconnect the two lines (one rubber, one metal) at the top and the steering column input shaft. By the time you detach everything to lower the rack you might as well just remove it for service. At that point it's just removing the front sway bar (which is already disconnected) and detaching the 2 outer tie rod ends. It was a lot easier to replace the fittings with it out of the car.

Actually, if you leave it in the car you "might" be able to leave the 2 lines that run to the rear of the car attached. They are attached to a rubber section of hose so they have some room to flex. However, there's a good chance those are going to leak if they get moved too much so I just replaced them for good measure.

In hindsight, maybe I should have just bought one of the 1G DSM rebuilt racks off of ebay and done the 4WS removal.

turborichvr4

hey i had the same problem with the the rear p/s lines leaking i eliminated the rear line of the 4ws steering get to drain plugs bolt mount them one the rack n pinion to the rear line and eliminate the two line on the p/s canister.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts