The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brake Fluids Comparison Chart

Nice find. I like that he included boiling points after 6 mos. in the car. It's like it was made for VR4 owners... even breaks it down into $ per degree. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

JSchleim18

haha yeah I found it pretty nice...I chose to go with the ATE Super Blue

Larry Parker

I run ATE blue in my rally car... Always seems to work good...

CP

I've used the Motul, Wilwood, Ford, ATE, and Valvoline at the track. I'm currently using the Ford because it's $3.50 per bottle and the dry boiling point is very high. If changed frequently, the wet boiling point doesn't really apply.

JNR

I like that chart. I especially need to find out which ones have the highest boiling point after a few months, as the DOT 4 doesn't seem to last long in my clutch (GTO) with the Valvoline Syn...gonna try some of those others.

Dialcaliper

The ATE is pretty cool for cars that get frequent brake fluid changes. The "Blue" and the "Type 200" (Amber) are chemically identical - they're meant to be switched between, so that you can easily see when you've flushed all of the old fluid out.

Quote:
I run ATE blue in my rally car... Always seems to work good...

CP

The blue stuff isn't technically DOT legal. The dye is the reason. Also, on cars where the brake fluid and clutch fluid use the same reservoir, bad things can happen with the Superblue. It's been known to kill Audi clutch hydraulics. It did in my 97 A4 1.8T. The clutch system got really grainy and felt like it had sand in it.

Dialcaliper

The super blue does meet DOT 4 standards - the problem most likely comes from either mixing DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids without fully flushing out the DOT 3. Either that or leaving the DOT 4 in too long, since it degrades much faster than DOT 3 does.

Also, common reservoirs for brake and clutch are a poor design (german "elegant design" gone wrong) since brake fluid takes a lot more abuse than clutch fluid, both systems get cross contaminated. When you change the fluid to bleed the brakes, you must also bleed the clutch system *every* time.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts