The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing belt from HELL

Ok i just finished putting a new T-belt and all related parts. So i fire up the car it idles good and I cant be happier till I back up and see a 4" puddle of oil. I shut the car off jack it up to find that its coming out the bottom of the timing cover. What did I do to the car has any one had this happen to them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crank seal or cam seals would be my first guess. Next would be front case/oil pump seal. Did you do the crank seal while you were in there?

No I didn't even think of doin them it didn't leak before. Live and learn i guess!

Yep, you should always do the balance shaft belt, crank and cam seals, hyd. tensioner, water pump, and the timing belt tensioner pulley (I do the idler pulleys too) when you do the timing belt. Easy time to replace your lifters too.

Oil filter housing is right there too so make sure you're not leaking from there.

did you by any chance elect to run just a timing belt w/balance shafts? And if yes, did you remove the tensioner pully for the ballance shaft belt? if so its leaking through that open bolt hole.

just a thought.

Nope everything is still operational. I changed all of that but the seals and lifters. And sadly its not the oil housing that would be an easy fix /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

That sucks. I'm going to lean towards the crank seal. Cross your fingers and hope it's not the front case. I'd bite the bullet and get it apart asap to find out and repair it.

Ya I'm goin to pull it back apart today I just hope checker stocks the seals

I think that one time I had a oil leak from not tightening the the hydraulic tensioner bolts enough.

Ok got the oil leak fixed and the car back together. But now there is an engine vibration if ai rev above 3k. I have checked and reinstaled the belt to many tines to count. I even had my friend come put it on once but nothing helps.

misterfixit

did you put the screwdriver in the block at the back to line up the marks for the oil pump? They line up twice, but only once will the screwdriver go in. this is the correct timing. (with the screwdriver in)

Sounds like time to pull the belt off again.

Rich

the front balance shaft is easy, line up the mark & go. the rear one driven by the primary belt is a little trickier, it actually spins three times to line up once.

the way I do em' is to just rotate the ballance shaft gear utill it falls into position. it will do this three times . one of those three will line up the mark, within a tooth or two. when you get to that point line it up exactly & put the belt on.

to check your marks, rotate the engine six times & all marks, front ballance shaft included, will line up.

I need to get it to NOT line up pull the belt then line it up and it will be in the right place. Is that right?

line up cams & crank then pull the belt & don't even sweat where that pully is sitting beforehand. then rotate it, yo will feel what I'm talking about. spin it a few times & it will want to fall into one of three positions. when it falls withthe mark closest to lined up it is right.

Once you feel it & see what I'm talking about, it will make sense.

Oh, if you ment the front one & don't want to dick with it yes, rotate the whole assy untill the cams crank & front ballance shafts all line up then redo the back one.

Quote:
I need to get it to NOT line up pull the belt then line it up and it will be in the right place. Is that right?

If you are referring to the balance shaft belt, yes. It should be 1 tooth off and upwards. Once you install the tensioner pulley, and tighten it, this will put the mark on the balance shaft pulley back inline with the mark on the plate.

fig08a.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned