The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacing front axles

my new front axles should be coming in this week from raxles.com, this is my first time replacing them, anything i should know when i go to change them out? i know i need new seals, are there any other parts or special tools i need for this job? any tips or advice would be great...thanks guys.

dewman

do you mind if i ask why you went with Raxles;instead of:Fidanza or Driveshaft Shop axles?

Rausch

you can usually pop them out with a pry bar or big screwdriver...if not then you may want to rent a slide hammer to do the job. other than that, if you can get everything else out of the way, you're good to go. just remember to break the axle nut free with the car on the ground if you're not using air tools. get a new cotter pin if they didn't give you one (sometimes they forget to throw that in there with the new nut...)
oh, and be gentle with the seals, they fit pretty tight, but are easy to f*** up if you're not careful.

CP

The seals don't really need to be replaced if you're carful pulling the axles out.

The driver's side axle has a carrier bearing the bolts to the back of the block, so don't forget that. Then it'll slide right out of the tranny.

The passenger side axle is held in the tranny by the end of the axle shaft, so you'll need to whack the back of the inner CV cup a few times to pop it loose.

I used Raxles as well because they've got a good reputation and ship very quickly, plus they give you return postage and a box to send your core back to them.

Quote:

do you mind if i ask why you went with Raxles;instead of:Fidanza or Driveshaft Shop axles?

they were the only company i had heard of that had good axles, maybe if i had known about the others i would have looked into them? also, jack mcgee said he was a fan of raxles, i usually take his advice, especially with transmission-related stuff.

so it sounds like this shouldn't be too bad of a job? for the transmission-axle seals, are generic ones ok or do i need to go OEM? i figure while i'm in there i might as well replace them, even if they don't need it. thanks for the help guys.

14u2nV

I've been using an Advance auto axle for a couple years with nooooo problems.

Changing those two seals in the tranny wouldn't be too bad of an idea. They are like 6-16 dollars, and easy to do.

RayH

Raxles also comes with rubber walrus protec.. I mean gloves.

atc250r

Staff member
My RF raxle had the outer CV joint shatter in the parking lot at work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

John

I sell new axles for $90 each with no cores if people need them. They are manufactured by EMPI which is the same company that produces the boots that raxles uses on their axles (or so I'm told).

yeah i had heard that raxles has great customer service, and the guy i talked to was really helpful, so if anything goes wrong with the cv shafts, hopefully they will be easy to deal with. i just checked out some of those fidanza and driveshaftshop axles, they seem to cost significantly more. i think i saw $699 for the pair at driveshaftshop.com!

spoulson

+1 for Raxles here. They even give you a return shipping slip to send the cores back.

I've put about 17k on them since.

natoe

i need a new driver side front axle, these ones you are all speaking of come with the intermediate shaft and CV axle? (All GVR4's are equal length correct?)

i need the whole shebang--ive never driven my galant before (just finishing a lot of work..), and this is pretty much the last thing holding me back.

thanks.

CP

I'm pretty sure the driver's side I got from Raxles only came with the outer shaft, but I can't really remember. It was over 2 years ago. Just call them and ask. The inner shaft should have the carrier bearing attached to it.

Rausch

Quote:
these ones you are all speaking of come with the intermediate shaft and CV axle? (All GVR4's are equal length correct?)

nope, the intermediate does not come with the axle. the intermediate is a totally seperate part, and unless it's destroyed (carrier bearing shot, or the splines are toast) should not need replaced. so, while the axle, IIRC, are the same length, it would not be considered equal length....i think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

natoe

well its considered equal length since it would behave better than completely different length shafts. but with the car i got an axle since the one on it is shot, but its for a non-equal length car...

ill have to double check to see if the intermediate shaft is ok, it probably is actually now that i think about it..

thanks for clearin that up!

DR1665

I just disassemble the axle with the torn boot, take the joint apart, clean it all out, apply fresh grease with a new boot. Screw paying more than $20 for CV repairs imo.

Of course, if you scatter the joint, your options are rather on the limited side...

CP

^^^That's what I did too. It's very easy, and just takes a bit of time to clean it out perfectly with carb cleaner. I'm sure raxles can send you a new boot and the proper band clamps (with the little nubs on them). Then you'll just need to buy a crimper for the clamps. There's a detailed How-To vfaq which I followed.

natoe

hum, well again i need to take another look at it, but the shaft tore completely out of the joint to the intermediate shaft... pretty sure its fubar

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts