The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how do you test coil packs?

Well, I was wondering how to test the coil packs. I did a little searching but didn't find what I was looking for. I seem to have picked up a small mis at idle and well some other problems that have been going on for a while. At times the car just doesn't want to "go". Anyway I've been trying to get my emissions done and it didn't pass. I fixed a few things that needed done and its doing well on all the tests except the idle HC test(300+). Everything I've done (O2, timing) doesn't seem to effect the idle HC in fact it keeps going up! While everthing else goes down it goes up. I've had it tested 3 times. It is smoking a little at idle and sometimes pulling away from I light it kinda bogs(rich?). So How do I test the coil packs to make sure they are working properly?

Tim

G

Staff member
your going to need a mits repair book.

Yeah, do your self a flavor and try to get the manuals.
wink.gif

Anyway, here's the diagnosis test:
Disconnect the coil connector.
Measure between connector terminals 3+1 and 3+2
(3 is on bottom of triangular connector)
Should read between .77-.95 ohms

With the connector still off(very important!) take the wires off the coil.
Measure between 1-4 and 2-3.
Should read between 10.3-13.9 KiloOhms

HTH

Cruce

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts