The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Code 44 Shenanigans

BluFalcon

I've had my GVR4 for a few months now and I'm having some intermiitent problems with it throwing Code 44 (Ignition Coil) at times.

On the way home from picking it up in Colorado, it would stumble and hang up when the throttle was pushed in. Free revved it a few times and it would clear up, then start bucking, hanging up again anywhere from a few seconds afterwards to an hour or so into the drive. After I got it home, pulled the code and changed out the coil pack with one of my spares.

A few months went by with no problems, then it started doing the same thing again a few days ago. I went ahead and replaced the ignition power transistor this time, but it still hasn't cleared up the problem. Sometimes the car will drive just fine, and other times it just stumbles, sputters then clears up for no apparent reason.

Anyone got any ideas before I change out the coil pack again and perhaps swap in another ECU? I've got a ECU from a 92 AWD Talon and a few more spare coil packs to try out. I just hope it isn't something in the wiring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

BluFalcon

Resistor pack on the firewall? Hmm. I happen to have a spare one of those lying around as well. Couldn't hurt to try.

I had this same problem in a 92 laser. Swapped ecu's and the problem dissapeared.

Last edited by a moderator:

markrieb

Way back in the dark ages I had this problem with my GVR-4. If you can find all of the old talon digest archives you could probably find my posts there.

I'd start with the ECU and make sure the caps have been changed and it is in good shape.

Then I'd check the ignition power transistor (just upstream of the coils)

Then finally, I'd check the crank angle sensor, especially if you have cleaned the engine compartment lately.

I'd also look at the idle speed controller. When the ISC coils short out they cause a high current condition in the ECU that can cause weird problems and burn out other components.

Mark

The ECU throws code 44 when it isn't seeing an ignition pulse coming back from either coil, and the fact that you are also having drivability issues at the same time would seem to indicate the problem is real. The ECU has 2 ignition driver outputs, which then go to the transistor, and then to the coilpacks, so a problem anywhere along the way will give the same result: no spark. It would be hard to troubleshoot it in anyway but the replace-and-retest way you are doing it, but don't leave out inspection/bypassing of some of the wiring also, which is getting old and brittle in these cars.

BluFalcon

Changed out the ECU today with a 91 EPROM ECU, running a stock GVR4 chip. I also rechecked all the connections and there is a possibility that the Ignition Power Transistor plug may not have been fully seated and locked into place on the pack after I swapped in the spare. Took it around the block a few times, and on a short trip to the parts store. So far so good. We'll see how she acts over the next few days.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts