The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear steering question

Terry Posten

I am finally sick of the wiggle from the back end under hard acceleration. I am overpowering the rear steering rack under full load and it is getting very hard to control.

I want to disable the rear steering, but want to do it the fastest, dirtiest way.

Will this work?

Remove the tierod end links from the trailing arms, take car to welding shop and have them weld the control arms solid (the part that slides into the main arm).

Is it OK to leave the rear steering intact?

Will I have tracking issues with the rear wheels when they weld the arms solid? Do they have to do something special with the arms before they lock them down. What I mean by that is do they need to have the weight of the car on the suspension while welding or can it be in the air with the tires hanging.

The easiest method, albeit not the most complete and perfect approach, is to just disconnect the tie rods from the trailing arms. The trailing arms will passively rear steer but no differntly than a TEL.
Mike R.

You'll only need to weld one side to the housing, since the rear rack is one piece that slides left/right thru the rack's housing. After you get it welded, then reconnect the ends to the suspension. This tightens up the "passive rear steer" that's built in.
You MUST block the two pressure lines that come out of the front rack to prevent the rear pump from pushing against the locked rear rack. You need to get an accurate alignment after wards to correct changes in rear toe-in/out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned