The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Electrical: Climate control and rad. fans

chucklesas

This is a strange one that just popped up for me. I replaced the two 12 volt relays for the A/C fan on the driverside of the car. I cut up the wiring a long time ago and just put spade connectors in, so maybe I have stuff weird to the wrong terminals on the relays. Anyway, even with the keys out of the car, ignition in the off position, my climate control fan stays on. If I have the A/C switch pressed in, both radiator fans stay on at this time as well. Would wiring up one of those relays incorrectly do this? I'm going to attempt to check out the electrical diagrams. I just thought it was kind goofy that it would do this, but am also kind of amazed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

chucklesas

Got half of it solved, but the wire-color callouts on the DSM cd don't exactly match what I have.

For the LO relay it calls for a GY and B for activation and LB and L for the switched side.
For the HI relay it calls for LR and LR for the activation side and LB and B for the switched side.

The wiring for LO all seems to make sense. I have a Green Yellow wire and a Black wire, as well as a Blue Black wire and Blue wire, so those are connected correctly.
The HI doesn't match up. I only have one Blue Red wire, and 2 Blue Black wires plus the Black wire. One of the Blue Black wires is a smaller gage than the rest of the wires.

Anyone have any ideas which one goes where on the HI relay?

chucklesas

Okay, so now I went from a fan problem to an ignition problem. I think it has something to do with these relays being all wired up wrong. I was fixing an intake leak (cylinder head injector seal), and ready to take it out for a test drive. I get the car out onto the street, rev up in 1st and 2nd then it completely dies. I try to get it started using the forward momentum. NOTHING. Turns out my ignition fuse blew. I try another fuse (the one for the power windows) and it blows that one. Okay, so I have a grounding issue. I pull out the relays for the A/C Condenser fan and steal the fuse for the rad. fan and I'm able to start it again.

So I'm led to believe it's the relays still being wired up incorrectly. Can someone take some good pictures of the plugs and relays on the drivers side, just behind the lights, so I can compare the wire colors? My wire coloring is not matching up with the diagram I have posted above, or maybe it's just a coincidence.

The car was driving fine before I pulled the fuel rail out to replace the o-ring. I had unplugged the CAS, TPS, and took off the cap ontop of the manifold at this time. I touched no other wiring, not even the A/C fan relays. These stupid little problems are getting annoying really fast.

chucklesas

Nobody huh? I'd really like to get my car going so I can get back to Cleveland tomorrow.

misterfixit

search under my name. You'll find the full galant climate scans posted

Rich

chucklesas

I have the diagrams. My wiring colors just don't match up with what's in the diagrams. Very strange. Maybe I AM going color blind.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts