The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help! new shocks, possible problem

ducttapeguy

hokay, so i put some used KYB GR2 non adjustable shocks on #1554 to replace these:

and i ended up with this:

it sits extremely low. we had to lift the car up to get the jack out from under the car. it does seem to ride smoother but its sooooooo low. is there a fix for this? are there better/different shocks i should use? im open to suggestions and any help. thanks
ty

DSMTurbo2

did you forget to put the springs back on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

ducttapeguy

no they're on there. they are eibach springs. mebbe they were specific for the old shocks and i should get new springs? if so what would be good?

You got front and back and side to side. Hit your switches. Sent you a PM.

second thought:

If I asked you to take a picture of the parts that are left over from your swap, would it be the identical picture of the two blown leaking black shocks? If the answer is yes, then:

Problem:
You interpreted those threaded aluminum spring collars and perches to be the adjustable part of the shocks when in fact, they are necessary to compliment the aforementioned eibach springs which are probably also marked "ground control" and numbered something like: 180.64.44

Corrective action:

Take the red(ish) threaded collar and gold anodized spring perch off of the nameless blown shock along with any rubber insulator that accompanies that collar. Measure the current ride height of the car from floor/road to fender arch and devise a number for exactly how much you think you need to increase that ride height. (Final ride height should probably be close to 24.25".) The difference in current ride height and desired ride height should be roughly the setting on the threaded spring collar. (adjusted after loosening the 5/16"? Allen bolt.)

Details:
I have modified your picture to show the relevant parts and the dimension "I" which will be your rough increase in ride height. Because the rear spring and shock act through a lever arm configuration, you will get about 1" increase in ride height for every 7/8" of increase in "I" dimension.

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I gotta see the end result of this one.

steve

Quote:
You got front and back and side to side.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif omg

Great info, thanks for taking the time to spell that out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif Let us know if it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned