The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bad Cam Sensor Plug = Strange Misfire!

atc250r

Staff member
I had been having a slight misfire for the past couple of weeks. At first it was only under high rpm/heavy load, then it became more and more prominent. Tommy let me borrow his COP set up and then his stock coils, neither helped. Then Underground let me borrow his coils and wires, still no good. On Thursday I put a set of brand new NGK BPR-7ES's in and still no help. Then on the way home from work it got really bad, I've had dozens of customer's cars over the years with bad wires and that is EXACTLY how it felt. Finally as I was limping home it dropped a CEL, thankfully that would give me a direction to go in. It had code #41 which is "Injector not continuously driven for 4 seconds during cranking or idle operation." Knowing the ECU gets a signal from the CAS and then tells the injectors what to do I decided to fool with that first. Wiggling the wires instantly cured it so I checked and one was a little frayed. Luckily I had an extra plug laying around so I put it on and no more problem. I even had to pull fuel from where my previous settings were. I guess the problem was there even before I could feel it. Anyway, I mainly posted this so it can help someone else down the road who has what feels like an ignition miss but it doesn't get solved by replacing ignition parts. I can't wait to get back to the track again since when I pulled fuel I lowered my injector pulsewidth some. Now I can make clean pulls to 7200 in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd with no knock at 22 psi on pump gas.

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned