The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tools necessary for suspension rebuild

So I'm going back home in August where I am going to spend a week getting #1185 ready to make the trip to Florida, the first order of business will be a complete suspension overhaul. Bushings, ball joints, tie rods/ends, wheel bearings, etc. I would like to get your guys input on the tools specific to this that are required and/or recommended, and if applicable, why X tool is better than Z tool for Y job.

I have all the Montero parts posted by the russian already sitting there waiting for me, has anyone posted pictures of these in my absence or should I put that on my todo list?

Terry Posten

Most auto parts stores will loan you the big tools like spring compressor, ball joint seperator/press.

These 2 tools are manditory for front end work.

A small propane torch is a good tool to have if you don't have a big setup.

A good pair of "snap ring" plyers are also needed for the ball joints

A good set of 1/2" drive sockets with a 2' or more breaker bar helps.

A set of pry bars come in handy also. 1 short, 1 long.

Don't forget a good floor jack with atleast 2 jack stands. DO NOT get under the car without them.

good luck.

powerplay

I hope you have an air compressor with an impact. It will make a very difficult job much more manageable. I am sure you can do it without it, but it will try your patience. Also some people find access to a hydraulic press is a big help. I didn't have one, but I can see where it could help. PB blaster and heat, as Terry said, are key. There are posts on here about doing what you are going to do. There is some very good information about the bushing removal/install. It is a lot of work, but when you are done, it will be like driving a new car.

My old mans shop has a 12hp compressor, I use nothing but air :p .. I have the floor jack, jackstands, etc, etc.. all the basics.

I would like to --PURCHASE-- the tools necessary to do this, because I will be doing not only this car but #441 as well in the short term. Taking a ball joint installation tool as an example, I notice they come with a variety of different sized [insert name of the piece that goes over the joint that looks like a socket here], what sizes should the one I buy come with? .. This is the kind of info I'm looking for...

holeshotmoe

I borrowed a ball joint press from dog bone (auto-zone). It consists of a hunky-ass "C" clamp and a few sleeves of different sizes. Here's what I borrowed. I found a few on the web for about $65.

Buy the two Mitsu tools for the front wheel bearings:

MB990998-01 Front hub remover and installer
MB991056 Knuckle arm bridge

I don't have my paperwork right here from when I purchased them, but I think I paid about $100 or so for both of them from OTC.

I'll update my post when I have the details.

twkd

A good range of sockets will be beneficial for pushing out old bushings.

Select one that just fits in the opening of the bushing you are replacing, then press it out with the socket. That way you get the whole sleave out instead of just pushing the bushing from the sleave.

+1 on the selection of sockets.

If you have ever received a large set of mechanic's tools from Sears and have all these SAE sockets you'll never use, you just discovered a use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Andy, will Noltec ever have bushings for the back subframe that fit o.k.? I understand they don't fit quite right. Is this correct?

twkd

nobody posted a 3" grinder/cutting tool so i will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif lol

just incase a bolt brakes and is impossible to get out or something of that nature....

also alot of good drill bilts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif trust me i had one of the front strut bolts snap in the cast part of the hub... that took hours....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts