The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

16G vs. BIG 16G ..... what's the difference ?

What are the actual differences between the two ?

turbine housing size ?

wastegate flapper size ?

Just wondering .........

spoulson

From RRE:
16g-big16g.jpg

in the end probably like a 20 hp difference. save a bit more and get a 50trim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bimmubishi

Evolution 2
Turbo = TDO5H–16G-7
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 7
Turbine = Inconel (steel alloy)
Compressor = Aluminium, 60mm wide

Evolution 3
Turbo = TD05H–16G6-7
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 7
Turbine = Inconel (steel alloy)
Compressor = Aluminium, 68mm wide

ken inn

from past experience:

when i got my car, the first replacement turbo was a small 16g, ported. the 14b it replaced was wasted beyond most people's imagination. of course, it was a big improvement. shortly after that, i got a tre ported big 16g. compared to the tre porting, the small 16g porting looked like a hack job. the big 16g seemed to boost faster, and pull a lot harder than the small did. i could tell immediatly, it was an improvement all over. last year, i got an evo 3, and the difference was even greater. it spools up way faster, hits really hard, and holds boost clear past redline, where the big 16g would be flattening out. with the mbc set for the 18 lbs boost on the big 16g, i was getting 22-23 lbs on the evo, and i had to turn it way down. the best part is price. the small cost me 600. the tre big was 550, and the evo was 525. all 3 look and fit exactly alike, i did not want to change any routing, piping, etc. with the price and the output of the evo 3 turbo, dont even think about the small/big 16g. additionally, the evo turbo is lighter, and the turbine housing is way better alloy, and the outlet is larger.

Quote:
in the end probably like a 20 hp difference. save a bit more and get a 50trim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

+1

jepherz

Staff member
Hmm, I always was under the impression that the big 16g was the same thing as the evo3...

ken inn

Quote:

Hmm, I always was under the impression that the big 16g was the same thing as the evo3... Quote:

nope. turbine housing is way different; much lighter, and all 4 mounting holes come thru. the path for the wastegate is better designed, the hole for the exh is way bigger. compressor wheel is just a tad bigger, but it is much lighter. the reason i went with the evo, i wanted to keep the factory mounting(rre pipes/intercooler already on)/exit/etc, and scott evans talked me out of the sleeper 16 i was going to install(too much lag). after searching around, the small puts out like 36lbs, the big 38lbs, and the evo is 40+, some results are 44+, which is 20g range. this is a really good turbo.

not much needs to be done, at the most you should get your ecu remapped as it spools faster so you can play around with your powerband a bit more.
Otherthan that, it should just be a bolt on mod.

To unleash the full potential of an EVOIII 16G, you'll need a Walbro 190lph fuel pump, 660cc injectors, boost controler, FMIC and some way to manipulate injection (SAFC, MAFT or keydiver chip)...oh yea, and exhaust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned