The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A/C compressor now with more problems

supervr4

Well when I started the car up this morning I noticed a smell the smeel of a belt slipping when I opened the hood I noticed what I think is the ac compressor blet sitting there with no tension on it at all, I have put some pics below to show what I think is the AC compressor please correct me if im wrong.

Now is there an easy way to tension this and can I just cut the belt for now if not?

P1000113.jpg

Last edited:

147/1000

that does appear to be the A/C compressor. i cant think of an easy way to tighten it though(my car has no a/c) if you don't use the a/c you can just cut it off.

ken inn

just for grins, you'd better check your harmonic balancer. if that sucker has separated, it can take out the motor.

supervr4

Ok so now I ahve more problems after removing the ac belt I still have a vibration upon looking under the car i noticed this

P1000116.jpg

the picture is the greatest but its taken from below the car and at what I think is the crank well I should say it the point where you put the 1/2 drive in to turn the crank.

Now should the pulley have moved over as far as it has and should it have started to eat away at the plastic at the side?

Cheers Shane

Yes, that is the crank, or Crank Pulley would be more accuate. Also known as the Harmonic Dampener as Ken mentioned.

That pulley is actually two pieces separated by a rubber part. When the rubber gets old, the outer part where the belts run separates from the inner part which is bolted to the crank.

If you look closely at your last pic here you can see the plastic shreads from the timing belt cover. That means your pulley has seperated and you need a new one NOW. Do not continue driving the car as the pulley can keep digging into the silver timing belt cover until it takes out the timing belt.

Get a new pulley and that will also stop the belts from jumping off.

Last edited by a moderator:

supervr4

sweet cheers for that guys as soon as I saw it I thought the worst but by the looks of it its an easy enough job to do.

from what I can gather I just undo the 4 bolts that hold the dampner on and it should pop off put the new one on and away I go

ken inn

EVERYONE should take note of this. it is a VERY common problem with all 1g, t/e/l/vr4. i also had to change the one on the gsx.

The next one I buy will probably get some tire conditioner applied to the rubber part. Hopefully that will make it last longer.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts