The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tranny / axle problems NEED HELP!!??

first, let me say your help was a great tool in fixing the electrical problems i was having. no more of those. now heres a new one:when i accelerate, the car revvs but moves forward very slowly. i would think its the clutch not engaging, but the wierd thing is the speedo goes up as if i am accelerating. so the clutch is engaging fine. so its something else? the output shaft on the tranny? inside the tranny? ive never heard of this problem and hope its not too serious... thanks

4orced4door

You have a broken axle.
frown.gif

I had the same problem. The car would drive fine if you stayed off boost or off uphills, but any load made it slip, and the speedometer slipped as well. I've had a bad clutch too, and your speedometer doesn't slip when it's that.

Don't go through the BS I did figuring it all out, buying another clutch from what other people told me (last time my car ever goes to a mechanic, promise!), and having weeks of downtime. Mine was the drivers front, FWIW. Good luck.

the tranny was put in 6k miles ago by previous owner. it is a jdm tranny. are the axles different for the jdm tranny?

4orced4door

quote:Originally posted by RTS182G-VR4:
what was the problem? The axle was broken...

P.S. i heard a wierd squealing last night every time i would give it a little extra gas. did yours do that 4door?

my car would accelerate and loose power also. after tearing the rear diff. apart, inspecting the rear axles. checking the tranfer case and front axles turned out to be i needed a new trans.my center diff. was completely gone and i mean gone it wasnt there. 3,4 and 5 gear were shot do let bm tranny build me a trans with all the upgrades and new parts needed no probs so far.

later hector

not axles, just checked them. tranny leaking fluid!!! this ia a new jdm tranny with 6k on the clock. if the center diff is gone then i dont know what to think. is there any way to check this? tansfer case seems fine. im going to check the fluid to see if there are any metallic flakes in it. any ideas? thanks

4orced4door

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the axles. That is likely your problem and an axle costs a lot less than a tranny rebuild, clutch, and flywheel, and then an axle.

Where's your tranny leaking from?

im pretty sure its not the axles, but i will check again. it actually could be the transfer case leaking, both the bottom of the tranny and transfer case are covered in new oil. also, the spot i parked in last night has a puddle of new fluid there. why would it be leaking, it has never even leaked a drop before. thanks

Hertz

Staff member
quote:Originally posted by RTS182G-VR4:
why would it be leaking, it has never even leaked a drop before. thanks Design flaw.
smile.gif
Are you familiar with the transfer case recall?

scooter

also, not all jdm trannys have the same final drive as the usdm trannys. one of the three you could get comes with a 5.38 final drive. if you have the wrong final drive, it will cash your viscous coupling out. it might also do other damage in the tranny. just a thought.

i do know about the recall, and the reason the car had the tranny replaced is because the tranfer case and tranny failed before. the owner performed the swap that had it before me. i have all the reciepts. im positive the tranny has the right final drive, although it does have shorter gearing. (i was told this by a shop when i bought the car)what was the recall for specificaly?

ken inn

ok, time to check your trans. if the gearing is shorter, and the rear diff has NOT been changed, you will really tear up stuff, especially at speed. on the bell housing you will see STAMPED into it, W5M332----. there will be 4 letters. original vr4 trans is NQBK or NQBM. a gsx is W5M312VQZH and W5M312VQBH. the important letter is the very first one, N is what you want, W is an rs trans, and has a way different final drive, and will lock up the trans, or waste the center diff, and you will get what your symptoms are.

i would check a 4 axles just to make sure, cause they are cheaper then a trans. if all else fails the vfaq has an article that tells you how to rip the tranny apart to check the center diff., without taking the trans out. good luck.

hector

kenn inn: what is the part number of the rs and where is it located. what is the usdm final drive and the rs final drive? had to take the car to a shop and they said the right axle is too short to plug into the tranny properly? would the rs axles be longer than the usdm galants? i need to figure out which tranny the guy i bought the car from put in. any help appreciated.

Hmm, sounds like you may have a tranny w/a front lsd in it. There was a discussion about this maybe a month or so back on the GVR4 yahoo group email list. If you're not a member, go join and search the archives. Teeter had some great info about that, as did Mike Welch, IIRC.

a front lsd? well, that would be a nice thing to have, i didnt think they came with one. does the lsd output shaft need a longer axle? thanks

found the group, sounds exactly like what i am having problems with. so, if i do have a final drive ratio different from the stock tranny how long would it take to toast the center diff? can i get rear gears to correct this? i have to check the ratios. ill keep you posted.. thanks for the help

Sorry, I really don't know all that much about these trannies, I just remember it being posted.
wink.gif
The best way to see if it has different ratios, or final drive ratios, is to tag the input and output shafts and compare revolutions of each, in each gear. There is more complete info on how to do this, try a search. Norm (I forget his screenname, or even if he's on this list) is the GVR4 tranny god. Ask him. I know he's on the email list, but don't know if he moved to the new one ([email protected]).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned