The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Air conditioning

Does anyone know how to recharge the air conditioning system. Autoparts stores sell the recharge kits that cost about $15. Do they work?

gtluke

it will work
but you really should vaccume out the system.
just dump 2-3 cans in for a cheap fix though.

gvr4ever

Use a can of stop leak too so you can try and seal whatever leak caused the original coolant to leak out.

Ya you "should" have someone vacume out the system. However, if you don't get ANY cool air what so ever, then all the coolant is probably gone anyway.

So, who all has a original working AC? I do, I do
smile.gif

I have the working system, but I think its out of R12. I will be converting it to R134a in a week or two.

This is an area I'd really recommend taking it to a pro for. You don't want to end up buying a compressor too because you messed it up by not putting enough oil in or whatever.

And don't use stop leak!!

Mark

I used to agree with Mark, but now I'm not so sure. I've done one R134a job the right way [change all the seals, drier, expansion valve, evacuate the system, lube & recharge], one the sloppy lazy way [replace the drier, lube and recharge]. I can't tell the difference between the two cars A/C operation.

Since I have two or three spare A/C compressors, if one goes out I'll just swap another one in. If you don't have the spares and equipment and have to buy an expensive rebuilt compressor then I'd lean more heavily towards having a pro do it.

just my $.02

gvr4ever

quote:Originally posted by Minjin:
This is an area I'd really recommend taking it to a pro for. You don't want to end up buying a compressor too because you messed it up by not putting enough oil in or whatever.

And don't use stop leak!!

Mark
Not the product "stop leak". They do have stuff made for your AC system.

turboflanagan

Work for what? For your car? Maybe, maybe not. Most are for r134a systems. IF yours hasn't been converted it is r12. Not the same by any means.

The evap is really the only real difficult part to change out. Everything else is relatively simple. If you have a leak, fix the leak! Don't put some crap in there that will clog whatever in addition to the leak.
If you have moisture in the system it needs to be boiled out. That is the reason to vacuum the system down. Water boils at a lower temp under a vacuum. Vacuum the system, leave it for a while, the water boils out of the system. Then you can recharge it with new refrigerant. I use Freeze12 to replace the r12. It works great for me and I don't have to change any components or worry about getting all the oil out that isn't compatible with the r134a. Just my lazy preference.

My original AC system (at 205,000 miles) was accidentially drained by the previous owner as we were removing the engine.

I had it recharged with R-12 once the engine was back in, and it works great.

Up to 230,000 miles now
smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts