The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car wont go into gear

had the clutch replaced this weekend by my roommate (mitsu tech)..act 2600 and act ss disc. also did a new slave cylinder. everything is bled, plenty of fluid, etc. however starting today it is very reluctant to go into gear, pretty much grinds every one even with the clutch way depressed. any ideas??

need help asap!! thanks --john

when the tranny fluid was filled up, 85w 90 was used..could this be the problem for the poor shifting? it shifts ok when in the first minutes of driving, but then quickly almost freezes up. i had BG Syncroshift in in before and it shifted fine. the cables seem to be moving fine.

i figured i would go get some GM Syncromesh tommorrow and see if that helps it. any more ideas???

number3

Another thing to check Is if the shifter cable bracket is tight on the trans?

04DrBlur

I am goin with Howard on this one. Definitely should have spent the extra $$ and replaced the shift fork and pivot ball. Same thing happened to me and looks like you are droppin the tranny again to put in the new fork. A mitsu tech did the install huh? Well if you ask me he should have known this was a problem area.

I had the same problem years back with my Talon. Howard is right, but I had to learn the hard way and drop it three times before I even thought about it.

Luke

Hmm.. if he didn't have problem with shifting before the clutch job, I don't see why he would need a new clutch fork now.

I just recently replaced my tranny with a TRE rebuilt unit. I did not put in new shift fork and pivot ball, but I did shim the pivot ball, and new TOB + TOB clip.

No problem so far.. And the TRE tranny shifts very well. It only took Jon 2 days to do the rebuild.

the thing i dont understand is that it worked fine at first..i was out of town, friend did it while i was gone, even picked me up at the airport in it. drove fine. then today, it got progressively worse to the point that it doesnt want to go into any gear after a couple minutes of driving.

if the clutch fork was the problem, wouldnt it just flat out refuse to go into gear period, from the get-go?

car shifted perfectly before the clutch job.

i think the system may need to be bled again and possibly throw in some Syncromesh...I really dread the thought of dropping the tranny again.

any more tips??? besides do everything the first time? already got that point
wink.gif

gvr4tel

What was the step on the flywheel cut to? I
believe for Act PP and disks the flywheel has to
be cut to .610 . RRE has a info on this on their
site.

im not sure about the flywheel..i bought another one that was already resurfaced from a friend to kill the downtime. i dont think that has much to do with it though.

04DrBlur

Crawl under the dash and tell us if the master cylinder is leaking fluid... You will know it if it is leaking.

Its not the fork itself...its the way it pivots on the ball. Beforehand you probably had a stock clutch or one that was lighter, so it wasn't as much of a deal. Now you have a heavier clutch, so when that fork tries to push and gets that extra resistance it falls off to the side instead of pushing the TOB straight ahead.

And do check the master cylinder too. Maybe you got lucky and its just that.

gvr4ever

The same thing happend to me when I installed a ACT 2600. I got about 6 months without having problems.

After rebuilding the master and slave cylinder, I still had a problem. I was starting to get really pissed.

Then one day I tried to downshift going around a corner and the clutch pedal stayed on the floor.

The stock clutch fork has a weak spot on it and I belive it will flex before it breaks. Have a friend push your clutch in while you look at it.

With the 2600 everything has to be working right, and a new fork and fulcrum should be installed. Also a SS clutch line helps too.

There should be a how to on this. This gets brought up alot.

ACT 2600 = rebuilt/new slave and master cylinder, new clutch fork and fulcrum, and SS clutch line. It should work fine after everything is ready for the heavy PP. A 12 year old stock system is not going to be able to handle it.

ok here are the facts. Iam his roommate, the one that installed the clutch. the flywheel was not resurfaced for a act clutch. 2cd the master is leaking Slightly. 3rd i put new syncromesh fluid in it and it dident do anything. I adjusted the clutch pedal nothing really. it works fine for a littlre then when it wharms up it works for sh*t. Has anyone had this happen before with this clutch set-up.

Get the flywheel stepped correctly. The master cylinder is either leaking or its good. So replace that. While you have the trans off to do the flywheel, change the fork/pivot/TOB.

my bet is on your master cylinder. thats what it was for me. if you can put into gear while your car is off but not while its on, then my bet would be the master cylinder. you might as well check that anyways, since its leaking.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts