The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Original Radio, some questions

Galant_martin

Hello,

i finally got an oem radio with cd player. I want to know, anyone knows how much Ohm the speakers need? I only have aftermarkt speakers front and rear with 4Ohm, is this enough or do i need 8Ohm per speaker? I dont want to toast the radio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And i dont have the original radio mounting brackets, can anyone make measurments and pictures from them ? Seems like they are hard to find...

Thanks

G

Staff member
Should say on the speaker magnet. Have a look.

turbowop

He knows what he has. He's asking how many ohms the OE speakers are.

That said, I doubt using aftermarket speakers that are 4ohm even if the factory stuff is 8ohm is going to hurt the OEM head unit. We're not talking about a lot of power here.

Galant_martin

Okay thank you. So i need to get good 4" speakers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
I dont want to drill any hole for an additional tweeter or else. Any suggestions for some good coaxial speakers?

G

Staff member
Did you save the oem speakers? If so then check the magnet. Or look on the body of the radio, it usually says recommended ohms there on a label.

Galant_martin

No, every galant i got didnt have oem speakers. And the label on the radio only tells me the Part nr. Serial nr and Dolby information.

gvr4ever

I don't remember what the OE speakers were rated. Changed mine out over a decade ago. 4ohm is pretty much standard for car audio in that time frame. Not sure about modern stock, but aftermarket has been moving to 2ohm now days.

I'd be pretty shocked if stock was 6 or 8ohm.

thomcasey

Pretty sure they were 6 ohm from the factory due to the front channels (dash and door speakers) in parallel. 4 will work just fine, just might find they may distort a little earlier at higher volumes.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I think I have some OE parts in a box, so I could take a look if it ever gets warm here again.:(

Galant_martin

Luckily i found 1!! OEM speaker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

15W
8Ohm
MB509486

Here in europe we only got speakers in the dash afaik. On more expensive models they got rear speakers too. But nothing in the doors ;(

i tried it in the car and it sounds the same or slighty better than the cheap coax speaker. Less "rattle". So i need to find a second one/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks for all ur answers!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts