The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wrapped exhaust?

mace

Has anyone wrapped their entire exhaust with heat wrap? Not looking into it performance wise but more of dampening sound. I have a straight back exhaust no muffler or cat and it gets pretty loud. I don't have a muffler to weld on right now but I do have some heat wrap. Just want to see if it works or if it would just be a waste of time to give it a try.

transparentdsm

remove your interior carpet and roll out some dynamat xtreme, heat wrap isn't going to do much in the way of noise muffling.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
25% panel coverage is the breaking point before the return on investment becomes willy nilly. Car audio world does testing with this for resonance reduction, quite frequently and that is why I was prepared with said factoid.

If the remainder of the cabin is being rattled, then that is another problem entirely because you are inducing vibration everywhere due to the lack of reduction in your exhaust system.

There are weld on rubber isolators/vibe reducers that OEM's use to reduce what are probably exact frequency ranges that likely correspond to what would otherwise be hard tones inside/outside the cabin/body, but if I knew more of how they worked and in what

part of the sound spectrum, I could recommend some but I think the shear volume and intensity that you have being created directly beneath the chassis and reverberating off the ground below, is what will hold you back. They may just reduce the inherent tendency of the material to

resonate at a particular frequency.

You did mention wanting to wrap the whole system, but this is expensive due to the length and potential to tear it up due to road debris and immovable objects (speed bumps).

Get a muffler and add resonators inline, like two of them or the longest barrel you can fit down the middle trans tunnel area.

Start at the source, work less up top.

I am not sure why people build exhaust system with no muffler in the first place, as even road course tracks require them in all but the most remote of locations. What is the spec 94db?

Not harping on your personally, but life is so much better with a properly designed system. We like watching videos of cars with no muffler or resonators, and seeing them sometimes spit flames, but you can't live with them for any length of time. I'm also a fan of catalytic converters on properly tuned engines, so bear with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
IT looks like it was supposed to be there from the factory!

Good catch Thom.

I should point out that there is already a resonator appearing device (could be a catalytic) and muffler in place on Turbo Tom's system, so the Helmholtz addition was the icing on the cake.

RHDGvr4

So you show up to work,and a Gvr4,is there for you to install a turbo. Yeah,Gvr4s are the best, today is gonna be a great day. Then you realize the was made in 1991,i can deal with that. Put the car on the lift and then realize the customer had heat wrapped EVERYTHING! Your day instantly turns evil, halfway through, you are itching and scratchin like a stray dog with flees. Working on cars with heat wrap, is such a pain, especially if its old. Gives you the itchies an falls apart after a while,especially if you live in wet,snowy and muddy conditions. Just saying, true story,The Stuff is evil!

thomcasey

You don't have a lot of choice in the US with the years for Turbo model Galants. 91/92. Unless it is a gray-market import

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts