The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intercooler core

birdman24

Does anyone know how thick of an intercooler core we can install on our cars? Also will a JDM bumper make a significant difference in that measurement versus a stock bumper?

I know James Foster has a custom 4.5" on his car, has anyone done a 5 inch thick core?

slugsgomoo

The US bumper gives a bit more room to be honest- for JDM front, I think you're looking at cutting/trimming once you're past 3.5" thick. I'd have to look at mine, but I'm pretty sure the slats/urethane actually touch the core, and mine is 3.5" thick (28x10.5x3.5)

If you go over 10.5" tall, the intercooler will hang below the bumper, and you'll get made fun of, ask me how I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

birdman24

Lol 10.5" height noted!

Thanks for the reply. The 4.5" on James car fits behind his JDM front. Maybe they trimmed the insides of the slats until it would fit.

I'm currently torn between purchasing a 4" or 5". Is the 5" necessary, maybe not but if it helps with intake temps and I'm not heat soaking it like I was my 24"x8"x3.5" then I'll be happy.

slugsgomoo

What's your power goal, and what are you going to use the car for?

To me, the law of diminishing returns plus the cooling issues with the radiator make me hesitant to go big with the front mount.

birdman24

Power goal is north of 700 to the wheels. I'll be drag racing the car along with road racing, street duty as well from time to time.

I decided to go with an ETS 4" core. Trimming of the JDM front is necessary in two areas especially if it's an RS bumper.

I definitely understand you're cooling system concerns. I feel that the scirocco radiator and shrouded flex-lite fan setup I have will keep the temps under control. I'll find out in a few weeks

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts