The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is a JDM VR4 2.0 engine any better than a US one?

scottinalaska

Since I blew mine up, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif , I was thinking about dropping in a 50K mile JDM one. It has this "Cool" "Cyclone" intake on it and all too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif It comes with the ECM and transmission. So I was wondering if there was any advantage from the Jap market.
I realize the Jap ECU will request better octane, so I'll like be changing over to my sensors and basically just be using the long block anyway.
Thoughts?

Scott

JNR

If you have emissions requirements, the Cyclone intake does not have EGR provision, fwiw.

fuel

Quoting scottinalaska:
Since I blew mine up, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif , I was thinking about dropping in a 50K mile JDM one. It has this "Cool" "Cyclone" intake on it and all too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif It comes with the ECM and transmission. So I was wondering if there was any advantage from the Jap market.
I realize the Jap ECU will request better octane, so I'll like be changing over to my sensors and basically just be using the long block anyway.
Thoughts?

Scott

Do you know what year the JDM engine is? It could be an early model which has the same 450cc blue top injectors and TD05H-14B turbo that makes barely 10hp more than the USDM engine. Or it could be the later Evolution model with 510cc yellow top injectors and TD05H-big16G turbo that makes 240hp. Things like knock sensor, coolant temp sensor, oil pressure sensor etc are all going to be the same. Main difference is the JDM engine uses an air-to-oil oil cooler like the '90 DSM, and the inlet manifold needs the JDM ECU to control the Cyclone butterflies. You could of course just swap over your USDM inlet manifold and not have to worry about that. Pistons/compression ratios, cams, head castings etc are all the same between JDM and USDM.

scottinalaska

Thanks for the insight there. Is there a visual way to tell the difference easily? Would yellow top injectors be a giveaway? or something on the turbo? These are just situated on pallets usually. When you say a "later Evolution" model, would this be post 1992? Meaning maybe I should be looking for an Evolution motor? Thanks!

G

Staff member
Would be 91 and 92. Yes look at the injectors as well as the text on the intake manifold.

scottinalaska

So it sounds like really, if I found that rare Evo one or two engine, I am really only getting 4 bigger injectors and a better turbo. Everything else is the same. Am I correct?

thomcasey

Not an EVO motor (those were 7-bolt and had different mounts (I believe). He is talking about the GVR4 Evolution, a model that Japan got with bigger injectors and a bigger turbo

fuel

Quoting G:
Would be 91 and 92. Yes look at the injectors as well as the text on the intake manifold.

Evolution VR-4 was released mid way through 1990 on the 5M/T models, the auto models still had the regular engine. Just to clarify - early engines have 'CYCLONE' while the Evolution engines have 'ECI-MULTI' (despite still using a cyclone type manifold). I believe the auto models post the mid '90 facelift also have 'ECI-MULTI' despite not having an Evolution spec motor.

turbowop

Quoting scottinalaska:
So it sounds like really, if I found that rare Evo one or two engine, I am really only getting 4 bigger injectors and a better turbo. Everything else is the same. Am I correct?

Yes, basically. If you ever plan to use larger injectors or a more modern turbo get whatever engine is cleanest and has the lowest mileage. IMO

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts