The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Caliper Brake Line Inlet Stripped

Chad989of2000

Hey guys, really bummed here. I'm installing a barely used Wilwood brake kit and the passenger side brake line will not tighten. On top of that the fitting won't back out now. It looks like the previous owner stripped it out.

Any advice on how to back the fitting out? Is the caliper trash now?

Chad989of2000

Considering clamping it and JB Welding it since there isnt much force exerted on it.

Chad989of2000

Used my serious level Channellocks and yanked while twisting counter-clockwise and the fitting finally bit. Unscrewed it by hand and got it off.

New game plan. Rubber gasket and Teflon tape and hopefully she can thread in.

Chad989of2000

Still wouldn't thread. JB Weld it is.

toybreaker

iconoclast
I would strongly recommend you do NOT attempt to fix that with jb weld!

Do you have a better pic of the damage to the caliper threads?

EHmotorsports

You would be better off using a threadsert. Not cheap but worth the cost.

Chad989of2000

Unfortunately I did not snap a pic. It's pretty smooth in there, almost no threading.

Chad989of2000

That Thread Sert looks like a great product, but it sure is a little pricey. At this point, I will probably just scoop up another caliper.

EHmotorsports

That’s a much better idea. Brakes are the most important component in your car. Don’t cheap out on them.

Chad989of2000

I totally agree on that one. I don't feel so bad since I got a great deal on them.

Chad989of2000

Anyone else ever experience issues with these calipers? They certainly don't feel as solid (in build) as the stockers. I inserted the brake line in the other caliper with great caution and it appears that this one was never used before. I'm thinking the deal was good because the PO knew they stripped one caliper out.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
You have to be careful with the fitting on the brake lines you are using. If the Wilwoods are anything like my old setup (currently in use but they are an old style), then the fitting is a pipe style fitting whereby the threads are tapered and get tighter as they thread in ... if you aren't using a brake line with the perfectly matched threads ... it will be disaster. Essentially we are all wondering if the brake caliper uses a tapered seat contact or if the threads are what is doing the sealing.

For example: 1/8-27 NPT

Last edited:

89Mirageman

Silly question but couldn't you thread the fitting in and have someone tig it professionally? I mean its already scrap metal so if they mess it up what would it hurt? Am I right in thinking there is an adapter that screws in, then the brake like screws into that?

Edit, nevermind. Forgot caliper was aluminum and fitting was metal.

Last edited:

Chad989of2000

I thought about that too and also remembered after a bit that the caliper is aluminum. I'm using Technafit lines, and the stripped out caliper was not having it.

Will there ever be a good connection between a stainless steel line and aluminum caliper?

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Yes, but only with good proper threads on both parts.

I hear what you are saying too Chris, but unless this is a last ditch effort to get the car one way home, I would never suggest welding parts that way on a hydraulic system.

My lines from Technafit were custom made to my spec, and they fit flawlessly into the threaded portions and lock up at the appropriate depth due to design. That is how it has to be.

Also, no rubber washer style parts can be used if actually attempting to seal fluid from coming out. The threads on a pipe style threaded fitting or the tapered seat (watch the angles there too) do all the sealing of fluid/pressure.

An O-ring/washer has no place on these two styles of systems.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
On other alternative would be to tap the caliper for a larger size pipe thread fitting, then use what is called a bushing to adapt it back down to the original size.

I have never had Wilwood calipers, but I believe the other guys are correct and they use NPT pipe thread size connections, which seal on the threads as Tim the Flying Eagle said.

Chad989of2000

They do indeed use NPT thread connections. I'm not sure how it got stripped out. My guess is the guy who sold them to me just over-tightened the hell out of em and pushed the brake line connector through the point of when it should have stopped. Oh well, I got the pair for next to nothing. I ended up buying another matching caliper and will cautiously install that one. Thanks for all the info guys.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting iceman69510:
On other alternative would be to tap the caliper for a larger size pipe thread fitting, then use what is called a bushing to adapt it back down to the original size.

I have never had Wilwood calipers, but I believe the other guys are correct and they use NPT pipe thread size connections, which seal on the threads as Tim the Flying Eagle said.

That adapter idea just blew my mind, because it is so simple and should work. Well done Iceman!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts