The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alarm Installation

4dr_vr4

I installed an alarm with remote start and turbo timer years ago that worked out really well for me until my pedal assembly failed and had to be re-welded and rebuilt by JNZ tuning.

Then I installed the pedal assembly again and it bent. This happened 4 times at $200 a pop until I found out that my slave cylinder had frozen causing the pedal to bend each time I installed it.

I carefully went through the effort of installing each wire above the steering column in case I was this unlucky again. Unfortunately, after going through all of this effort, the alarm module just would not fit.

After this much bad luck, the vehicle has sat for around a year. I lost motivation after that happened.

How do you all go about wiring your alarms as to not worry about pedal failure?

I guess that I could live without an alarm but I like the keyless entry and minimum and would still end up with somewhat of a similar issue. I will always be concerned about pedal failure again and would hate to need to cut all of the wires.

How do you all run your alarms? I thought about putting the brain on the passenger side but it doesn't seem like there is too much room on the passenger side with the blower motor and large glove box in the way.

Thanks.

WaRrIoRs16

The two times I installed alarms in Galants I put the module behind the radio, then ran the wires from there. I'm not sure whats involved with removing the pedal assembly, but I tried to run my wires up high to avoid them falling into the pedal assembly. Also I didn't shorten any of the wiring harness that came with the alarm. I used a zip tie to hold the extra cable length next to the alarm module, that way if I had to relocate anything I wouldn't have to extend the wires.

mitsuturbo

I've put an alarm in 2 of my vr4s. I pull the dash to do it. It's not that difficult, and you can really squirrel away the control unit and wires so that any supposed "knowledgeable thieves" would be stymied when attempting to locate the bits that would be required to bypass and get the thing started.

4dr_vr4

I like these ideas. Leaning towards the radio idea. Less intrusive. Just gotta be 100% sure that I can get the wires OVER the pedal assembly by doing this. Too many years of wiring alarms....burnt out!

Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts