The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

91 Talon Tranny in GVR4

kjbtsi6686

I am going to be putting a 91 talon tranny and transfer case in my 91 gvr4. What all has to be changed in order to make it work?

turbofonz

Nothing.

transparentdsm

not true, all the shifter cable brackets need to be changed over or your gonna have a hard to impossible time shifting.

edit: you also need to change the gear selector/slide arm as the DSM has a different height then the VR4

Last edited:

thomcasey

^^^This right here, or upi will have to drill holes in the leavers on the transmission and place bolts to align the cables properly.

kjbtsi6686

Does anyone have pics and dimensions?

transparentdsm

i can take pictures of my assembly later today when i go to my shop, but for dimensions i cant help. i'd need to take things apart to get proper measurements and im not looking to do that. do you not have a transmission in your car to take the brackets off of?

diambo4life

Quoting transparentdsm:
not true, all the shifter cable brackets need to be changed over or your gonna have a hard to impossible time shifting.

edit: you also need to change the gear selector/slide arm as the DSM has a different height then the VR4

Didn't know this. Probably why I have issues shifting fast. I got it pretty close now it is only reverse that is a pain. So GVR4 shift cable brackets are unique?

kjbtsi6686

Here's what I have. The set on the left came on the '91 talon tranny, you'll notice they are taller. The one on the right was on the cables on the gvr4. So I'm thinking the shorter one is gvr4?

thomcasey

Note the different angles also

transparentdsm

Quoting kjbtsi6686:
Here's what I have. The set on the left came on the '91 talon tranny, you'll notice they are taller. The one on the right was on the cables on the gvr4. So I'm thinking the shorter one is gvr4?

also note the different bases on the shifter cable brackets/

turbofonz

Can't say I've ever had a hard to impossible time shifting my galants using known 1g transmissions. In fact, they shift just as good as my 1g /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thomcasey

because you are using the 1g shift cable mounts. If you use the GVR4 mount, then the shifting can be an issue without changing mounts or putting in new posts to line up with the cables at rest

turbofonz

Wouldn't you expect a 1g tranny to come with the mounts... IE you don't have to change anything.

strokin4dr

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
What about the shifter cables? Are the shifter cables themselves for the 1g different than the cables for the VR-4?

They are different part numbers, but I've never compared them side by side.

thomcasey

VR-4 cables are a tad shorter, but they don't make a difference in shifting. As for the 1g tranny coming with everything, that is a rarity. Unbolting the bracket is the easiest thing to do before dropping the transmission so they tend to stay with the car.

Regardless, just set the cables in the bracket you have, set the lever to the neutral spot (should be where it rests) but leave the cables off the shift posts/levers at the transmission and see where they fall naturally with the transmission in neutral. Then you can see if a different transmission bracket is needed.

Here is the bracket I am using

Along with the shorter upper shift post.

kjbtsi6686

Awesome info, thanks alot guys for all of the info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts