The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cracked Bell Housing... advice

abikepeddler

Well I have been having odd issues with the clutch in our Galant VR-4. I eventually notice one of the clutch slave cylinder mounting holes has broken clean off. I then notice a massive crack running all the way from the slave cyclinder up to the top of what I believe to be the bell housing. I have spent the last hour reading all the various posts about this particular issue and some deal with this by welding up the bell housing but looking at the 10 - 12 inch split I do not think this is something that can be welded. (I'm not even sure I it is the bell housing I am looking at... I think it is... The clutch slave cyl mounts to it...) So I am looking for some advice... hate to trash the car because it is a really nice specimen. It's worth saving. Is my best course of action to buy a replacement transmission? If so, where is a good source? Any advice appreciated.

EMX5636

Buying a replacement transmission is probably the easiest solution, unless you or a friend can tear the transmission down to replace just the bellhousing. It could be welded though, if you have anyone nearby good with cast aluminum. Needs to be removed from the car either way.

abikepeddler

Thanks for the reply. That is what I am thinking as well but figured others smarter then I might have another suggestion. Any suggestions as to a good source for a new transmission? Online discount Mitsu parts suppliers have them for around $2600. I am located in San Diego...
Anyone know of a San Diego based mechanic that is good with these cars?

ghostinthevr4

2600 that's a lot it almost sounds like your in aftermarket territory at that price. Then again prices on everything have gone way up, you ever here of Loya Built?
He's in S.D. I think plus he may have some spare transmissions.

Good luck!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I'm not sure if Jacks Transmissions or Shepherd deal with these older cars anymore, but may possibly have parts lying around.

TRE in Michigan still does though. When I had mine rebuilt by Jon (TRE) he replace my bell housing from a parts transmission he had around. Mind you, this was a while ago. He can do a rebuild for less than that $2600 figure.

abikepeddler

I have never heard of Loya Built. I found their Facebook page but Facebook is soooo 2016... I don't do FB. I will have to figure out some way to get a hold of them. I hate to trash this really nice VR-4 over a cracked bell housing. If I could repair the car and even make it better while in the process then I will spend the money.

G

Staff member
Any pics of the vr4? How much would you sell for?

diambo4life

I have at least a couple bell-housings in my garage. I break a lot of transmissions. If you just want to replace that, PM me.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting abikepeddler:
I hate to trash this really nice VR-4 over a cracked bell housing. If I could repair the car and even make it better while in the process then I will spend the money.

Absolutely no reason to trash the car over this. Transmission repair is normal business for these cars (as the poster above mentioned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

abikepeddler

Yes, agreed the car is worth saving but I also can't dump $4000 - $5000 into the installation of a new transmission into this car either. I need to find a "reasonable" solution. I am trying to find contact info for the previously mentioned Loya Built but I can't find contact info for them except for their Facebook page... I don't do Facebook. If anyone has any contact info for them or any other suggestions as to where best to source a tranny, please let me know. Either that or this car gets sold "as-is" and I move on.

abikepeddler

Here are a couple recent pics of the car...

IMG_20160826_083405737-min_2.jpg

IMG_20160830_184352019-min_1.jpg

G

Staff member
PM me a price as is with the cracked trans.

idreamidrive

There are a couple of people in the San Diego area that would be probably be willing to help you out. There is a guy in Ramona who rallys them so he might have a spare, but i can't remember his name. If I was still in the area, I would. Road race engineering might have something, but they are up in LA.

diambo4life

Very clean belize green. Wish mine was half as clean. Trannies are a quick fix on these cars. Do not sell it. You will regret it.

abikepeddler

Thank you everyone for you input and guidance on this repair. Much appreciated.

In early 1991 I drove my father to my local Mitsubishi dealer in my then 8 month old 1990 Eclipse GSX and had him place a deposit on a brand new 1991 Galant VR-4 (#1337). My dad drove that car for a few years before I purchased it from him. I then got stupid and sold it in 1999 with 10,000 miles on the odometer to a guy named Andy Hall. So my regrets already run VERY deep. I just recently found out that #1337 burned down in a structure fire while being serviced at a mechanics business. So when #1609 popped up I grabbed it and it has been a great car and I want to keep it...

I am just hoping that removing the old bell housing is straight forward. I am very experienced at wrenching on cars but this car intimidates me a bit.

So while I have everything apart I want to tackle any other issues. Likely will replace the clutch and flywheel (lighter). I hear ACT clutches and flywheels are good. Also am going to replace the lowering springs on this car because they are WAY to stiff. Car is upset by mid corner bumps. Does not make handling predictable.

highrpm666

Hey, I'm going to be in San Diego at the end of March/beginning of April on a small vacation. I'm pretty knowledgeable with these cars and have torn mine and few few friends cars apart and back together multiple times.. I'm also a career mechanic. I'd be willing to come spend some time one day helping you out or giving you some pointers while I'm in town. If you would like a hand!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts