The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Speedo reports faster than actual speed

HadesOmega

My GVR4 reports +10mph higher than actual speed. I found it strange how my car says I'm going like 70mph and cars are passing me so I checked it with a GPS one day and found out it 10mph higher. Does anyone know the cause for this and is there a way I can adjust it like get a different speedo gear drive or something?

thomcasey

Whats your wheel/tire combo measurements?

HadesOmega

Ahh I forgot about the tire size

It has EVO8 wheels with 245/40/17s

I put in the sizes with the stock 195/60/15s in the tire calculator and it says they're the same size though maybe reports 1mph faster.

Maybe if I change to a taller profile tire like a 45 it will read closer to what it should be but it'll probably be off by +5 still.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
1g trans and speedo gear maybe? They are different (though I am not at this point thinking about which way).

HadesOmega

Hmm that maybe the problem are the GVR4 and 1G DSM speedo gears interchangeable?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes, IIRC they are one tooth different maybe. I put the 1g in my car because I have 225 45-17 tires on, and they are closer to the rolling diameter of the 1g with 16" wheels than the stock VR4 diameter.

HadesOmega

Cool I guess the search for a 1G Speedo gear drive begins thanks =)

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I looked up a 4wd D27A model and the speedo gear (driven) in the trans case top, is MD728826.

JnzTuning.com shows just over $21 US if they can get the part. The part listed N=29 which has to be the tooth count.

The same gear in the Gvr4 is MD728827, and listed as N=30, so 30 tooth count.

As Ice suspected, it is a single tooth count difference. Same price.

strokin4dr

Good info here!

HadesOmega

Just a followup to this topic. I finally got around to installing A gvr4 speedo gear that I got. When I took the current one out it had a 29tooth gear and the gvr4 one I had had a 30tooth gear. Swapped them out and now my speedo is off by +12 now so it made it worse. I guess I should have figured since the teeth went +1 it would spin slower.

Anyway I noticed my speedo needle settles on the 15mph mark. Is this normal? Maybe I should open it up and move the needle to the 5mph mark.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Never seen a speedo that doesn't sit at the needle when it should be at rest, unless something is amiss or someone had the gauge face/needle off for some reason and they goofed at reinstalling the needle. The needle should sit lower at rest as it only moves up when the reed switch is activated and the cable in the back of the cluster is actually spinning.

Last edited:

HadesOmega

Yeah the previous owners have been doing some goofy stuff to this car =(

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts