The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant 2.0 GLS TDI - random loss of power when driving

Oliveira

Hi
1st of all thanks for the time you guys are spending on my topic.

I'm new at this forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
I'm having a trouble with my Galant 4D68 engine (1999 year) aceleration. It randomly exhitate on aceleration.
Sometimes going down a hill the Service Light switch on, and when it happens if I press the acelerator pedal it reacts as almost no pressing it... and if going up a hill it only runs at 1st gear at 2000 - 2500 rpm (more or less) as no power at all... the car just runs as in safe mode...the idle is perfect, no smoke, no noise, temperature looks ok; just no power at all...
I was wondering may should be the crankshaft position sensor... but already check with multimeter and it looks ok...(anyway it's a random issue)
If I restart the engine the power is back again and everything looks good again and the service light switch off.
other information is that I noticed that when weather is hot it happens worse and much frequently... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

any information or tips is really apretiated.

thanks guys
Xavier

fuel

Hi Xavier,

This forum caters primarily to the 6th generation Galant 1987-1992 - specifically the VR-4 model equipped with the 4G63 turbo and AWD/AWS. Unfortunately very few, if any (myself included), will have experience with the 8th generation Galant with the 4D68 Diesel.

Oliveira

Thanks Mate

Anyway I'm trying to resolve it... Geting a bit information from everywhere I will manage it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I made the ECU Self Diagnosis and got few errors/fault codes on ABS Brackes and Engine Injection System Sensors... already got the Inspection Chart for Diagnosis Codes, so now I need to face the beast and resolve it.

Thanks so much for the reply and considerations

Cheers
Xavier

fuel

Let us know how you get on! The 4D68 Galant certainly is a rare car!

Breakerrr

I don't know if it'll help or even if it's relevant to the model Galant you have, but the symptoms are consistent with a faulty engine temp sensor. Anyway...good luck.

Ben

Not likely the cause, but replace the fuel filter. For most drivability issues on any diesel engine, it's a good idea too start with a new fuel filter.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
^^^ Just be darn sure you know how to prefill and evacuate the fuel system of air bubbles before you crank it over and try to start it.

ANY air in the fuel line and you could be stuck with a no start situation for quite some time. I learned the hard way when I performed a fuel filter swap on a VW diesel and forgot to fully prime/fill the fuel filter first and then prime/bleed the system. If this is a "lift" or "suction" from the tank, to the filter, and on up the fuel pump, then this can happen.

fuel

Quoting Breakerrr:
I don't know if it'll help or even if it's relevant to the model Galant you have, but the symptoms are consistent with a faulty engine temp sensor. Anyway...good luck.

Given that the 4D68 Diesel in the Galant has mechanical injection (pre TDI days), the water temp sensor is purely for the gauge cluster and not for the ECU (which doesn't exist on the 4D68).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts